The Olympics 2012

Luke Campbell got a gold telephone box

7767957136_a56132e58a_z.jpg

godda luv 'ull 'int ya?

If anyone's interested, you can watch pretty much anything from the Olympics on YouTube on the official Olympics channel (including the spice girls).

Does it matter where they come from or where they live now? There will always be contention.

For instance Greg Rutherford grew up in Bletchley and now lives in Woburn Sands, yet is usually hailed as being from Milton Keynes - both Bletchley and WS are places in their own right and most who live there would be appalled to be classed as 'living in MK'.

And if asked, I suspect he would be really pissed off that his gold letter box is in central MK on Silbury Boulevard.

Does it matter where they come from or where they live now? There will always be contention.

As the article says you can blame us Tykes for making it an issue! We always have to get one over on the rest of the UK especially the Southern counties and those louts from over the Pennines!

Luckily, I have a Yorkshireman as a son-in-law and he is a wonderful young man (and not at all tight!!) but even he was counting the athletes from his part of the world. Particularly amusing, as he was actually born in Germany :)

Funny thing about the Olympics and people saying oh we are going to invest in sport and get kids started and encourage them to get involved in sport this is the start of a new era we are now a sporting super nation blah blah blah blah blah blah.

So as soon as the the Olympic torch of Britain's bright sporting future gets extinguished the government give schools the right to reduce the amount of space required for children to play sports in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/19264764

Now that's what I call commitment to the future of British sport....

The Ugandan bloke who won the marathon arrived back at Entebbe airport to a hero's welcome, a cheque for £50,000 (which must buy him 20% of Kampala) and has had 9 levels of promotion in his job a prison guard. Well done him and the the Ugandan authorities.

Well done to him indeed, and he deserves his hero's welcome and prize, but can you imagine what would happen if Heather Stanning (British rower in the army) got promoted nine levels for winning her medal? Or Barack Obama calling Michael Phelps up and saying, "congrats on all your gold medals, you are now the president!". Bit dodgy, but different cultures I suppose and hopefully he's good at his job and deserves that promotion too.

Fair play on the monetary compensation, but how exactly does winning a marathon make him suitable for promotion nine grades up?

That's just stupid.

Back
Top Bottom