The Olympics 2012

The closing ceremony won me over in the end, and who cares anyway, the Olympics was AMAZING. I wish we could have them every year, I have never been so engrossed in any sporting event. What a privilege it has been to have them in our country and I'm so glad I was able to go to a few of the events in person.

In terms of which counties provided the most gold medals for Great Britain, Lancashire and Yorkshire are tied at the top with 5 gold medals each*. That'll please F1Yorkshire

(*going off traditional borders where Manchester and Liverpool are counted as Lancashire)

From contributing on the Olympic moan thread I've been converted.
I was absolutely hooked for the last 2 weeks, thought the opening ceremony was great, the sport even better. I was lucky enough to attend last week & screamed in Hyde Park as the Brownlee brothers podiumed the triathlon then cheered again as we watched handball, it didn't matter GB weren't playing the crowd was so excited to to be there. But my gold medals go to the relentless cheerfulness of the the volunteers and army/police which bouyed the atmosphere.
The last two weeks was liek the country was on a high.
The closing ceremony felt like we were on acid (head still spinning :dizzy:)

Well done Britain :thumbsup: you were Great!

We missed the end of the ceremony - there's only so much up to 50 year old crap British pop music you can take.
Quite surprised to read Take That performed after Gary Barlow's wife gave birth to a stillborn daughter last week.

My summary of the whole thing:

Cost: Exorbitant and unnecessary
Opening ceremony: Cringe-worthy and meaningless to anyone other than middle aged Brits
Sports: Excellent
Closing ceremony: Dire
Security: A worrying display of state fascism
The "Show": Detracts from the whole point, which is the sport
IOC: Continued corruption which sadly will never change

Who let all these sheep shaggers in? :snigger:
This reminds me of a joke from this side of the world.

A Kiwi's on holiday in Australia. As he drives out of Sydney into the country he sees an Aussie dragging a ragged looking sheep backwards across a field towards some bushes. Kiwi stops his car and yells out "where I come from we shear our sheep". Aussie stops briefly then yells back, "well I'm not sharing this one with anyone". ROFL

In terms of which counties provided the most gold medals for Great Britain, Lancashire and Yorkshire are tied at the top with 5 gold medals each*. That'll please F1Yorkshire

(*going off traditional borders where Manchester and Liverpool are counted as Lancashire)

5 each? Yorkshire has 6 or 7!

http://www.goldpostboxes.com/

Yorkshire Golds:
J Ennis - Sheffield
E Clancy - Hudderfield
A Triggs - Hebden
A Brownlee - Leeds
N Adams - Leeds
L Cambell - Hull
K Copeland - Ingleby Barwick

The last one is borderline North Yorks/Co Durham but wiki says N Yorks so that will do me!

F1Yorkshire This disagrees!
A0IiYSXCEAMix4C.jpg:large

Poor information there MCLS.

I prefer my own research, I used the BBC medal table combined with Royal Mail Postbox finder.

Either way Yorkshire is still number 1!

Back
Top Bottom