The Olympics 2012

I think we only entered water polo because, as host Nation, we were allowed to enter everything even if we didn't qualify. :)

I think we still had to show we could be competitive, the women's relay team weren't included automatically in the athletics & from the snippets I heard they were controvertially excluded.
For some of the sports I was impressed we even had an entrant!
You'd think they would expect a higher target than 12th of 12 though, not much to aim for.
I don't recall any of our competitors making a complete arse of themselves which must be positive (I'm happy ot be corrected if there's footage out there).

Remember the stunning little baby doll from the womens shot put?

Well you'll never guess what...who'd have thought it eh!?? :whistle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19242736

Eurovisionsports-London-2012-ostepchuk.png

Remember the stunning little baby doll from the womens shot put?

Well you'll never guess what...who'd have thought it eh!?? :whistle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19242736

She was using Metenolone.

Metenolone (or methenolone) is a long-acting anabolic steroid with weak androgenic (testosterone or androsterone-like) properties.

Side effects
In women, side effects include virilization (growing male bits),:sick: amenorrhoea, menstrual irregularities, suppressed lactation, and increased libido.

Eww :sick:

One, maybe unexpected, thing that I will take from these Olympics is the spirit of competition. Watching the Football Community Shield yesterday I was immediately frustrated with how childish everything was, abuse towards the referee, each other etc. etc., both from the players and the fans. These are things that are pretty rare in the Olympics, even in the football tournament - all the athletes are there to do their best and the fans cheer them on, but when everything's done and dusted you see hugs and congratulations all round.

I still like, and will watch, Football and other sports, but they could learn a lot from the last couple of weeks.

The thing is sushifiesta, the prize for doing well in the Olympics is a medal, a brief burst of fame, one or two adverts and then back to normal (or a job presenting on the BBC). In football it's all more about the money. I expect the average footballer earns in a year what the very best athletes can expect to make in a lifetime and that includes those at the top of the game such as Jessica Ennis who can expect to make Seven figure sums with advertising and stuff.

I don't see how the money should make a difference in the behaviour of the fans and competitors. For the fans, they have to buy a ticket anyway, and for the professional players having a wage is not an excuse to act like a prat.

It's more of a national football problem than anything else, there are plenty of other professional sports where it's nowhere near as bad (Rugby, Tennis, whatever). But we're diverging...

Back
Top Bottom