The Olympics 2012

So the British cyclists were disqualified for an illegal changeover yet the Chinese were just relegated for the same offence and get to keep a silver medal.

How does that work?

I think what happened is China basically had their time removed in the final, whilst the same thing happened to GB in the semi-final. Disqualified is the wrong word really, as there were only two in the final it means China got silver despite effectively not setting a time.

EDIT: Argh, beaten to the line by mjo by mere seconds!

Thanks guys, poor terminology then as DSQ is usually unequivocal.

A great swim by Rebecca Soni to go under 2:20 for the first time.
A shock defeat for Ryan Lochte, not many expected that.

I just heard that he young guy on the British cycle sprint team crashed on purpose to force a restart because he didn't get a very good first start!!!!!

You can call me old fashioned if you like but surely that is fucking cheating?????

For me that is a tainted gold medal, but then cheating in cycling is nothing new is it...

And it no good saying it is within the rules as that rule is meant to cover mechanical failure, it you can't win fair and square what is the point of competing? This isn't the wacky races where dick dastardly lays traps for his competitors.

That gold and that world record means nothing in my eyes....

As Engish is his second language it was reported on the BBC that he, Philip HIndes, was initially misquoted and the matter was cleared up later on.

Re track cycling -I saw the interview on the BBC live & the interviewer said "you tried to pull a fast one?" but he seemed not to understand the nuances of the english language & replied "yes, a fast time".
I'm in 2 minds how much of it was gamesmanship & how much a mis-translation of language.
Surely if it was deemed a mechanical failure there would be physical evidence for the officials to check, or everyone with a slow start would be doing it.
Anyway apparently Chris Hoy was less than impressed.
I did feel for our girls as a GB/China final would have been cracking & it seems a tad harsh that the same offence leads to effective disqualification for one and a silver medal for another but at least it was a clear rule & not down to someone's opinion.

Yesterday I discovered how exciting canoeing and shooting can be when you're listening on a radio!
How do people think we'll fare in the athletics? Rise to the occasion or crumble under the pressure?
It's amazing that we don't even know if our main triple jumper is even going to appear!?!

For every competitor of Team GB today :cheer:Good Luck!

This is how much gold medal winners earn from various countries.

Singapore - $800,000 (£515,000)
Kazakhstan - $250,000 (£160,000)
Kyrgyzstan - $200,000 (£130,000)
Uzbekistan - $150,000 (£95,000)
Russia - $135,000 (£90,000)
Tajikistan - $63,000 (£40,000)
US - $25,000 (£16,000)
Australia - $20,000 (£13,000) plus face on a stamp

As for the UK...No money - but their face on a stamp

He won the match by 'Ippon'

The basic translation is: He was sat on!

Actually translation is: "Full Point" Pinning an opponent with his/her back touching the mat for 25 seconds; the contestant being held may not have any control of any part of the attacking player's body for the pin to be scored. This differs from a wrestling pin as if the person that has their back facing the mat has their legs wrapped around any part of the attacking player's body (for example ), the pin will not be scored.

I've just seen the footage of the first start of the men's bike team sprint.
It couldn't be more obvious that the British guy crashed on purpose due to making a bad start.
Although it's allowed in the rules, it's effectively cheating and it taints the win, the medal and the world record IMO.

Conversely, the wording of the rule which saw the women disqualified is so bad it could have been written by the same guy who writes the F1 reg's...
Essentially it can be interpreted several different ways and came down to the judges personal opinion.

As Engish is his second language it was reported on the BBC that he, Philip HIndes, was initially misquoted and the matter was cleared up later on.
Covered up! more like I definitely heard him say he twisted the bike on purpose and crashed on purpose because he had a bad start.

They can put a spin on it and deny it all they like but he knows what he said and he knows what he did..

He cheated and the medal does not belong to them...

Back
Top Bottom