FIA The FIA admits the controversy at the Abu Dhabi GP is “tarnishing the image of the Championship”

I'd love it if F1/the FIA sacks Masi and keeps the same result and then Masi sues them for unfair dismissal.

F1 and the FIA can't have it both ways.
The result stands because Merc did not appeal or agreed to back down on the grounds the FIA would do something and be accountable. Sacking Masi is the only option . The FIA could give him another position internally to soften the blow as part of the restructure or they would have to pay him off a settlement to confirm he has been made redundant .

Does Masi have clout for wrongful dismissal? I d very much doubt he is untouchable and to say the FIA put him in this position. Jean Todt is no longer in charge, the new regime can say they recognise the role has changed so these are being put in place which includes changing Masi’s role

Reading that,it looks like the plan is as follows:

If a team has an issue they will contact the race operations manager.

The race operations manager will then contact the assistant director of race operations.

The assistant director of race operations will then contact the director of race operations.

The director of race operations will contact the assistant race director.

The assistant race director will contact the race director.

The race director may, or may not be Michael Masi.

A decision may or may not be made.
Whilst having a chain of communication is good how long will it take to respond to a situation given every lap is usually about 1m 30 seconds ?

He can't be made redundant as the position exists, you can only be made redundant if the positon no longer exists, he is either sacked or moved sidways or promoted, depends on whether they want him and for how many $ he is worth to the FIA either to keep or sack with compensation

Last edited:
He can't be made redundant as the position exists, you can only be made redundant if the positon no longer exists, he is either sacked or moved sidways or promoted, depends on whether they want him and for how many $ he is worth to the FIA either to keep or sack with compensation
He can be made redundant if the role of race director changes significantly than what he is doing now.

If its the sacked route then they must be working on a compensation now to get him to accept it...of course he could challenge to ask for more if his lawyers can prove it what he is entitled to.

If they offer him a suitable role that he refuses to accept then he is considered to have resigned and therefore may not be compensated

I would suggest the only way he could be made redundant is for a more senior official to encompass the race director position as part of their presnt position, promoting someone into a new position that emcompasses race director is a legal nightmare and recruiting is even more fraught based on the percentage of race director work in relation to the new position.

Given he did 3 roles no thanks to Jean Todt's leadership it is possible to make him redundant by separating the roles and redeploy the responsibilities to others

The impression is that the FIA was initially working under the belief that the issue would go away as time passed. Hamilton's indirect intervention this week has dismissed that idea for good.

Brogan ,Pretty much what we’ve been saying on here for the past month.
What was Hamilton’s indirect intervention?

I cannot condone anyone sending personal abuse to Masi. However, the FIA could have avoided all and any of this by simply coming out at the end of the race and admitting the bloke got it wrong. What they then did with the race result is another discussion, but Masi made up his own rules and changed the result of the race, which was wrong.

What did he expect to happen when he initiated a two car shoot out.
it was wrong decision now

but you cant confuse corruption for bad mistake, under that pressure, with red bull & mercedes shouting in his ear. the laps counting down, he made what he thought was the best decision for the sport. but alot of people have forgotten that. because i would like see other people, in that scenario see how they coped

i know all about pressure, in a driving lesson i pulled the handbrake at 30mph instead of the foot pedal when i need to brake for traffic lights. i cant tell you to this day why i did that

Last edited:
F1Brits_90 there is no where in the regulations that says “best thing for the sport”. The guy messed up, thought that this would all blow over and we would go to Bahrain in March starting a fresh.It’s about time Michael Masi came out and says what his thought process was, and why only the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen were allowed to unlap themselves.
If Verstappen had won the race on merit then all this wouldn’t even be an issue, but at the end of the day, the guy in charge bottled it for drama over the rule book.

Johnny Carwash the guy messed up yes, we've all done things that we thought would be for the best & its backfired massively. most F1 fans are acting like they never made a mistake in their life. the guy in charge didnt bottled it, not making a decision & hiding wouldve been bottling it. & he was on hiding to nothing
finish under safety car - Fans are furious
restart without change - Horner Furious
Restart with change - Wolff is Furious
Follow Safety car rules & run out of time end up finishing under SC - Fans are furious. FIA are too slow & shouldve acted quicker

there wasnt 1 issue. there many things masi, mercedes & Lewis couldve/shouldve done. but none of that is going to change history & he had so much abuse now, that has got blown out of all proportion , i want to see him still in bahrain, as see if he comes back a better person

It’s not about Wolff or Horner as Michael Masi betrayed the public trust, and thereby destroying the credibility of the FIA & F1. The only solution is a organizational restructuring of the Race Director’s responsibilities.

Back
Top Bottom