FIA The FIA admits the controversy at the Abu Dhabi GP is “tarnishing the image of the Championship”

Last season indicated he may well be past his prime,
It depends on what you mean by past his prime?

I felt last season he put in some of the best drives of his career. In a car that was clearly a tenth slower than the Red Bull and facing a young opponent who's racing style is to not give a shit about those around him, the fact Hamilton should have won the title shows how good he is

The "past his prime" question is not is he still good enough? The answer to that is absolutely. The question for me is does he still have the energy to be that good for another season?

I see shades of Lauda in 84 / 85.

That is my thought is he willing to put himself mentally and physically against Verstappen but also maybe the Ferraris , Russell and Norris.

Everyone wrote him off with 4 races to go and he nearly did the impossible comeback which only Alonso could do in his prime .

He has to think and drive like Prost to succeed to be honest.

He has not got anything left to.prove to be honest

He has nothing left to prove (although his critics don't believe that) and I don't doubt that he still has at least one more title in him.

He's 37 and what he has lost in reflexes to the younger drivers, is more than compensated by his ability and experience.

However, I hope he walks.

F1 deserves nothing less.

i thought that was 1 of Lewis Greatest seasons up there with 2016 & 2019. he was outstanding. some inspired drives along the way. it was a testament to Lewis Hamilton as anyone else. that championship was sown up in mexico

ill say i have sympathy for alot of people involved be it Masi, Red Bull, Mercedes. Pressure was ridiculous so i can have leniency as i foretold at the time pressure can make people do silly things they never would do. as the lose the ability to think clearly. Penalty Shootout showcase that everytime. under normal circumstances you never miss until its a cup final

Masi ive changed my mind on him i defended him no i was wrong, he was very wrong, it had honourable intentions, tried please everyone & upset everyone. & it was very wrong not just to Lewis. but disrespectful on Sainz & the whole grid as well, if he goes he can have no complaints. if he stays he certainly on final warning.. i hope that will be the final time that happens & that if masi returns he will learnt from his mistakes, meaning a Red Flag in the final 5 laps should be become the normal outcome. if the teams still agree that it is “highly desirable for the races to end in a 'green' condition.

he shouldve thrown a red flag like Baku & Saudi but that hindsight decision. but we also cant kid outselves the other 2 endings would've been any less controversial & Masi may have been as precocious as it is now. horner wouldve been Fuming either way & Max fans would be reeling off conspiracy theories, how FIA gave lewis a 5 car barrier, Latifi deliberately crashed because his friend Russell is off to Mercedes or under a Safety car Horner again furious we were robbed of chance to race at the end & what a damp squib end to the championship. i wouldnt be surprised if Horner wouldve mentioned the exact scenario we got. to have a racing end

but also on another point Red Bull & Mercedes Pitwall should be ashamed of themselves, both at times absolute pathetic, childish theyve been this season . the 1 thing Masi or anyone needed in that moment was silence. let the man think. but no both constantly moaning in his ear trying to defend the indefensible Red Bull Jonathon Wheatley?? the worst for it, he's disgraceful. & needs to find some self respect in tje off season, distracting him further. its not guaranteed but if for once these people they thought about the sport instead their own selfish interests & Shut up. he couldve better thinking time. Unless they only make that channel 1 way Director > Team. Sacking Masi wont change anything.

Selfishness in F1 is a problem as old as time like when budget caps were heavily fought against despite in the space of a decade we lost Honda, Toyota, BMW, HRT, Manor, Caterham & Sauber, Williams, Force India Lotus were very close to going to the wall. but Budget caps why there no issue, F1 is in great health

Last edited:
ill say i have sympathy for alot of people involved be it Masi, Red Bull, Mercedes. Pressure was ridiculous so i can have leniency as i foretold at the time pressure can make people do silly things they never would do. as the lose the ability to think clearly. Penalty Shootout showcase that everytime. under normal circumstances you never miss until its a cup final

Masi ive changed my mind on him i defended him no i was wrong, he was very wrong, it had honourable intentions, tried please everyone & upset everyone. & it was very wrong not just to Lewis. but disrespectful on Sainz & the whole grid as well, if he goes he can have no complaints. if he stays he certainly on final warning.. i hope that will be the final time that happens & that if masi returns he will learnt from his mistakes, meaning a Red Flag in the final 5 laps should be become the normal outcome. if the teams still agree that it is “highly desirable for the races to end in a 'green' condition.

he shouldve thrown a red flag like Baku & Saudi but that hindsight decision. but we also cant kid outselves the other 2 endings would've been any less controversial & Masi may have been as precocious as it is now. horner wouldve been Fuming either way & Max fans would be reeling off conspiracy theories, how FIA gave lewis a 5 car barrier, Latifi deliberately crashed because his friend Russell is off to Mercedes or under a Safety car Horner again furious we were robbed of chance to race at the end & what a damp squib end to the championship. i wouldnt be surprised if Horner wouldve mentioned the exact scenario we got. to have a racing end

but also on another point Red Bull & Mercedes Pitwall should be ashamed of themselves, both at times absolute pathetic, childish theyve been this season . the 1 thing Masi or anyone needed in that moment was silence. let the man think. but no both constantly moaning in his ear trying to defend the indefensible Red Bull Jonathon Wheatley?? the worst for it, he's disgraceful. & needs to find some self respect in tje off season, distracting him further. its not guaranteed but if for once these people they thought about the sport instead their own selfish interests & Shut up. he couldve better thinking time. Unless they only make that channel 1 way Director > Team. Sacking Masi wont change anything.

Selfishness in F1 is a problem as old as time like when budget caps were heavily fought against despite in the space of a decade we lost Honda, Toyota, BMW, HRT, Manor, Caterham & Sauber, Williams, Force India Lotus were very close to going to the wall. but Budget caps why there no issue, F1 is in great health
F1Brits_90 - I may not agree with everything you say here, but you have expressed my sentiments well here.

Safety cars always cause problems - many of which are relatively easy to solve.
  1. Laps behind the safety car are lost racing laps. I've never understood why these are not just added on at the end, up to a maximum of, say, 5 laps. Teams could be required to carry the 5 laps of (low-speed) fuel required for those 5 laps of safety car. To make sure teams don't cheat, where there is no safety car, the teams must have a minimum weight of fuel that can be extracted at the end
  2. Safety car laps are done at relatively high speed. In other forms of motorsport, where the race is close to the conclusion, the safety car will do very slow laps, to allow for the possibility of racing at the end. F1 can't do this, because the tyres are so temperature sensitive. To me, this indicates that the tyres are the problem, not the safety cars.
  3. Lapped cars overtaking - I can see the benefit of cars being lined up in race order, but I always struggle to see why a lapped car should gain a lap on the leader, just because the safety car is out. Having come to F1 more than 30 years ago, I also struggle with the idea of the safety car generally

Just seen on Sky Sports that the FIA began the inquiry into the Abu Dhabi GP on Monday and expect to have it wrapped up by the start of the next World Motor Sport Council meeting on 3rd Feb:

Also read that Masi and Tombazis' names have been omitted from the FIA General Organisation Chart, both of whom were present on the previous revision in October 2021:

Best season build up in a while, what with the new cars being launched and the ongoing saga that needs to be closed out before pre-season testing get underway.

Depending which paper has worded it it suggests Mercedes demands the FIA sack Masi and Tombazis which they deny. They just ask the FIA to take the right course of accountability. Surely Mercedes do not have that much power to demand you must sack this person

They expect Masi to be sacked and the rules about the safety car protocol in article 48.12 and 48.13 to be properly defined with article 15.2

What a load of bullshit.

On January 19, the FIA's sporting advisory committee - essentially, the sporting directors of all the F1 teams as well as FIA representatives - will meet to discuss the use of the safety car.

In the days after that, there will be a "shared discussion with all F1 drivers".

An FIA statement added: "The outcome of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 Commission in February, and final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on 18 March."

Translation:

The lunatics will be asked to comment on the running of the asylum.

On completion of that, the turkeys will be asked to discuss their feelings about Christmas.

Finally, nothing will change.

i think there are wholesale changes that need doing. that abu dhabi brought up & although i think Michael Masi is in a similar position to boris. it hard to see how he continues & like The Artist..... said i can see some big rule changes on how to deal with a safety car where it looks likely the laps will run out. we could have a nascar/BTCC rule where the race goes into extra time

getting rid of Michael masi on its own is not golden goose many people think it will be. because if you have a straight swap the other things wont change

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom