FIA The FIA admits the controversy at the Abu Dhabi GP is “tarnishing the image of the Championship”

There are no analogies to any other sport, as far as I know there has never been a one lap sprint after a safety car in F1, either it finishes under SC or usually at least a two or three lap with the protagonists on equal or fresh tyres. But a FU is what it was and it will go down in history as a tarnished FU

Last edited:
Mercedes chose not to pit to prioritise track position. There was absolutely no guarantee that Verstappen would be able to overtake. Note that Perez also managed to defend against Haminton earlier in the race under similar circumstances.
Mercedes chose not to pit to prioritize track position on the assumption that given time to unlap cars, the race would likely finish under a yellow flag.

Masi decided to do something unprecedented to create a situation Mercedes could not have predicted, and if they had known this unprecedented decision would take place, they may have prioritized differently.

Typical stupid Mercedes.

Not anticipating the spontaneous creation of a new rule on the last lap of the last race of the season.
This is the sort of thing that you can only say in hindsight. The safety car could have been out and come back in within 3 laps (as Latifi was very close to an access road). It all depended on how long it takes to clear up the wreckage. The track was clear and ready to go much quicker than most anticipated - and in plenty of time for normal procedure to deal with - but Masi cocked it up.

Mercedes effectively gambled that it would take too long to clear up to allow green flag running. At the time, Mercedes were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Their decision not to stop was all about track position, and Hamilton questioned it at the time. Had they stopped, ended up behind Verstappen, and the race not restarted, they would have looked mighty stupid.

Similarly, had Hamilton stopped for tyres, and Verstappen not, then Verstappen would have looked mighty stupid on that last lap of racing. As a team, Mercedes should be looking at Bottas, who made it easy for Red Bull to make their decisions. Had he been closer to the Red Bulls, then there would have been no opportunity for a free pit stop.

Toto Wolff seems to be doubling down on all of this as well...

I will say what I've said elsewhere though. Over the course of the season, Verstappen deserved the championship. Mercedes deserved the constructors' championship (they still had the best overall package across the season). Verstappen could (and probably should) have wrapped up the title in Brazil, had he been a little luckier, and more circumspect earlier in the season, or if Hamilton had had a little less luck.

There were races where Hamilton transcended his machinery (Bahrain for one), but in the second half of the season (and Brazil onwards, particularly), Hamilton had a rocket-sled underneath him.

I can't believe the gimp has the audacity to come out with this just as he's leaving. Amazing how much of spine you develop when there are no consequences.

I can't believe the gimp has the audacity to come out with this just as he's leaving. Amazing how much of spine you develop when there are no consequences.
He did **** all in his presidency and would rather hide in his tortoise shell

Not content with the current 'China' policy of governance, former president suggests action must be taken to implement the full 'North Korea' policy in the interests of sporting integrity. Motorsport.com
So the solution isn't to fix the problems and poor stewarding, it's to punish the teams and drivers for complaining about it.

As I said yesterday, they really don't get it.

Their response to the Abu Dhabi GP said it all when they blamed the media and fans.

Well in my view [this comment has been removed. Reason - potential negative comments towards FIA. Context - FIA are always correct and are really quite awsome actually. Punishment - Undisclosed. Note - further replies are being monitored.]

Give Todt some credit. It's taken him 12 years to say something we disagree with.

Granted it's the first thing he's actually said in 12 years but hey, we can't have it all.

Anyway, Max couldn't last 12 minutes without saying something so we have moved on.

Almost a month on and the FIA still isn't able to provide any information or update.

One senior source told BBC Sport that Mercedes had dropped their appeal against the results of the race after agreeing a quid pro quo with the FIA.

This deal was said to be that Masi and FIA head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis would no longer be in their positions for the 2022 season.

Mercedes deny that any such deal was reached, and insist that they dropped their appeal after receiving assurances only that the issue would be treated seriously and appropriate action would be taken by the FIA.

Having not won his eighth WDC I wonder whether Hamilton is unsure whether he is quick and consistent enough to win an eighth rather than whether there will be an equal playing field. Last season indicated he may well be past his prime, there was just something not quite there even though he picked up in the second half sometimes bits seemed missing

Back
Top Bottom