Technical The End Of The Parabolica! Do we really need tarmac?

Not much time

----------------------------------------------

And wouldn't that be a good thing too? Duels would last longer, rather than being done and dusted as soon as someone goes on the grass and either crashes or loses a bucketful of seconds trying to regain control.

Sometimes there is such a thing as a half-full glass. ;)

Yes but wider means the track is longer one cancels out the the other the quickest way through that corner will not change from what it is now in my opinion, in fact I'm willing to bet that if two cars enter that corner side by side and one goes wide the car on the inside will come out in front and once the marbles are down going wide will probably mean a visit to the kitty litter.

And anyway even if the line through the corner does change all the drivers will be using that line and so the status quo is maintained.

Last edited:
But don't they make the corner as wide as possible in order for it to be quicker? That's why you don't see anyone hugging the inside at the Parabolica, which would mean that they'll be able to carry more speed onto the main straight as they can straighten the car sooner?

There is a post with a video in it on this thread showing the hulk going through the parabolica if you watch it you will note that he stays close to the inside edge and only drifts out wide on the exit to the corner..

Last edited:
But Jos, they already Are travelling flat-out when they're hugging the outside. There'd be no point at all in going even wider since they're already at full throttle. The only thing they'd do would be to give themselves more ground to cover.

From drivers' point of view, you often hear them saying that a corner is effectively a straight, i.e because it's taken flat-out.

That's what makes the Parabolica so unusual, because it begins as middle-speed corner and opens up throughout. From their point of view the straight effectively begins as soon as they leave the inside because they treat the outside as a straight.

There'd be no more point in running even wider at the exit of Parabolica than there'd be in swerving around on a straight.

Last edited:
They might be flat out on exit but with tarmac runoff you can afford to push the limits a little bit more going through the apex and be traveling at a faster speed when you get to the full-throttle exit. So yes, the exit might be flat out but that doesn't mean you can't be more aggressive in the tighter parts of the corner.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the racing line and explaining the quickest way to get through it, feel free to explain to me how it will change due to the extra tarmac....

3_turn3.jpg

Smooth like Jenson Button.

5_parabolica.jpg

Back
Top Bottom