Technical The End Of The Parabolica! Do we really need tarmac?

This is all ridiculous. The sport is being destroyed. The cars are ultra safe these days (just look at the accidents of Kubica in Canada '08). There is no need to rape those tracks. Also ironically the last fatality of F1 happened at a tarmac run off, didn't it?

These circuits aren't used exclusively by F1, you know.

I don't see the tarmac run off areas as purely a drivers safety measure nor do I see it as a drivers get out of jail free card I believe they serve for more purposes than that.
  • With gravel there are more chances of a yellow flag period and that period being longer than with tarmac causing more interruption of the racing.
  • With gravel the marshals will be on track more often and for longer this is obviously dangerous for the marshals the last drivers death may have been twenty years ago but there have been several marshals killed since then and I'll bet not one of you could name them.
  • Gravel gets into the air intakes and can cause mechanical failure of not just the engines but the brakes as well which could cause accidents to happen.
  • Cars are much easier to clear out of the way on tarmac than they are on gravel so less track time for marshals and that equals safer working conditions for them.
It would be best if people stopped looking at it from a purely drivers point of view whether it be safety or taking liberties with the track limits, the track limits issue can and should be dealt with by the stewards and not the material laying at the side of the track..

Last edited:
Just googling, the marshal who died at the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix was Mark Robinson, although that particular incident was significantly different than those that killed the other two men since it took place after the recovery rather than as an instantaneous thing at the moment of the crash.

But tarmac and gravel traps are not the only choices, a narrow strip of grass causing the driver to lose time is a perfectly viable alternative; the driver would lose time but still be protected by the tarmac once he got onto it.

What about a progressively-deepening pool of water? The further into it you go, the deeper it gets.

Slightly over the white line and your tyres are wet so you have to back off anyway until they dry out.

Too far over and you get bogged-down or flood the engine and can't get back out again.

(I'm only half-joking.)

8899277296_af5098d7d9_z.jpg

Parabolica as it used to be.

I think some of the stuff being said about the Parabolica being ruined or "the end of the Parabolica" is way over-the-top for a corner that will remain unchanged...

The corner itself won't be any less of a challenge in terms of getting it right. It's just the penalty for getting wrong is less likely to put you in the barrier.

The challenge of Parabolica is on entry onto the Apex. As soon as you exit the apex it's flat-out all the way on the outside, so I don't see what advantage there would be in exceeding track limits on the exit, since it's flat-out for everyone anyway.

This onboard clip of Hulkenberg in 2013 clearly shows Nico putting all power as soon as he exits the apex.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I said the corner is unchanged and the fastest way through it is not to go out wide until the exit, I don't know what all the fuss is about...

The corner is the same but I think some drivers might approach it differently now, certainly more aggressively. Now if you try to carry to much speed around the apex you can just run wide.

I've done a bit of googling and twittering and here's what I found out.

BumJs7mIQAAbLeR.jpg:large

The photo posted in the OP is a bit misleading (not blaming you F1Yorkshire), as it shows a huge chunk of asphalt while this photo (posted by Emanuele Cereda on Twitter) clearly shows only a relatively small amount of asphalt has been added, wide enough to get away with a small mistake while still losing a not insignificant amount of time but small enough so that when a driver really screws up they'll still end up in the gravel anyway.

Furthermore, Italy's Tuttosport has reported the changes are because Monza will host a World Superbike round next year and safety concerns about the lack of escape zones have been raised during meetings.

Back
Top Bottom