The Danger of Monaco

We can pick holes in any of the tracks having areas we would like to see modified. @ Monaco they are looking to refine where Perez, Button & Wendlinger had bad crashes by moving the barrier back, but this will mean moving a crane, so I reckon that should be an easy fix.

Trouble is any track there are going to be issues, Germany for instance @ Hockenheim, in the new track just further on where Alonso was faster than Massa! On the left (seeing it as a driver) there is a exit for safety vehicles and the concrete sticks out like a sore thumb, think jacques villeneuve had a dig @ the track for this, still not sure if it's been refined or changed. There are many areas were an accident could happen and a driver could injured......

Vettel and Button are asking for more safety...god...why get rid off the danger aspect? It's what gets the adrenaline going even more, it's way too safe, there always will be a freak accident every decade, can't be stopped.

Also, are they not making changes to the Sao Paulo circuit? the last sweeping bend? I read that two drivers crashed there and lost their lives recently and it might get modified.

Without wishing to ignore or underplay it, I'm not sure that danger is actually the issue. To me it's a question of whether or not I want to watch a motor race or a destruction derby. On other threads we've recently been debating the claim that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. Do we want the best drivers and cars in the world to crash out of a race just because the track has not evolved along with the technology? It's a toughy, but last weekend saw legitimate attempts to pass made to look like rubbish because of the limitations of the track followed by vociferous argument on all sides of the debate accusing people of chumpery, over aggression, over passivity, lack of spacial awareness (that one was me!) and lord knows what. I feel like I should have enjoyed Monaco as I usually do yet something didn't gel. Is it the circuit? Here we are, it's Thursday and I'm still not sure. :thinking:

Weirdest race of the season.:dunno:

Also, are they not making changes to the Sao Paulo circuit? the last sweeping bend? I read that two drivers crashed there and lost their lives recently and it might get modified.

Hi Sly, I suspect you're thinking about changes being made to the street circuit for IRL rather than Interlagos

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-upgrades-made-to-saeo-paulo-circuit/

Looking around to check. ....

Edit: No it's two different "stories". One is as above re IndyCar with regard to changes in the layout for the street circuit that they use. The other relates to calls for safety improvements at Interlagos as there have been a host of fatalities in recent years. Apparently, these improvements involve demolition of some of the spectator stands and viewing points to create increased run-off areas, not necessarily revisions to the track itself.

http://racing-pistons.blogspot.com/2011/04/controversy-about-tamburello-de.html

http://racing-pistons.blogspot.com/2011/04/another-fatal-accident-in-interlagos.html

Nah it wasn't that, it was I think a sportscar category, it was on the ESPN.F1 website a while back...

And all the races this year have been weird :thumbsup:
Hi, it is Interlargos, recently Gustavo Sondermann was fatally killed in a Sports Car race, his crash I believe was on the main start line straight after turn 15, close to where the big F1 crash was when Jordan won the race after count back, but they gave the trophy to someone else......from what I can remember the barrier isn't always perpendicular with the straight and this bloke just hit the barrier in the wrong place. So believe it is this part they are looking to correct. Of course I could be completely & utterly wrong, what I've been able to find on the web:

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-158129.html

Pyrope, looking at the Ariel picture of the track, the run off area to the left of the corner looks like it's before the actual corner, has Interlagos ever been run or was it built as a clockwise circuit?

Pyrope, looking at the Ariel picture of the track, the run off area to the left of the corner looks like it's before the actual corner, has Interlagos ever been run or was it built as a clockwise circuit?

Actually there is very little run-off there. If you look, the thin black line you see just outside the track surface (about 1 track width to the left) is an earth bank lined with old tyres, which was the former crash defences... Not massively forgiving. Inside that, just a car width or so off the surface, is a catch fence with modern conveyor SAFER-type impact barriers. This photo gives you the perspective view. As far as I understand it, the current proposal is to remove the last couple of banks of seating and put in some proper run-off (hopefully with gravel, although I'm afraid they'll probably use tarmac).

cafe.jpg

As far as I know the track has always been anti-clockwise, although it is difficult to find much information for races between its opening in 1940 and the first Brazilian Grand Prix in 1972. I suppose if I spoke Portuguese it might be easier!

Back
Top Bottom