Cricket The Ashes 2013

Tomorrow will be a fourth day wicket though... Pitch is getting trickier by the day... Wouldn't like to be Australia chasing 300 on a fourth/fifth day wicket... :thinking:

Aggers on TMS, just said; "the sky is blue."

Should be no light problems for the extra half hour... hopefully...

Last edited:
Within an hour Australia went from zooming along towards victory and all of a sudden are almost all out! No Agar this time either...

I would like to lay claim for England's success as I hadn't heard any of the cricket, or even seen an update on the BBC website, throughout the day. Got in the car just before 6 and the Aussies fall apart. All down to me :chuffed:

Great bowling from Broad and Bernard Bresslaw didn't do too bad.

Loving the Bresslaw comment!
I always think the same.
Can't "like" your post as it didn't contain a double entrendre, though. But if you want, I'll give you one.....

Spent yesterday afternoon trying to find work to do to keep me from looking at the BBC updates, and Rogers and Warner's inexorable devouring of England's lead - got home to find them 168-2 and England wasting their last review on Smith. "Oh dear" thought I, "looks like we've thrown this one away", before setting off for tea at the Ma-in-Law's. One rather delicious Steak & Mushroom pie later, I checked the ipad to see 199-8...what??:o

Watched the C5 highlights with half an eye on the BBC website to follow the final moments of the match - simply incredible how Stuart Broad manages to whistle up these devastating spells at crucial points in a series. :cheer:

Man of the Match - yes, but Ian Bell should be England's Man of the Series...

soccerman17:
Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

A game of cricket involves two teams, consisting of 11 players each, and that each player is allowed to bat, bowl and field. Someone who bats is called a batsman, someone who bowls is called a bowler, and someone who fields is called a fielder.

A batsman's duration on the field of play is called an innings and, when ended, is called a dismissal. A batsman bats in front of a wicket, which is made up of three stumps and two bails. A stump is a vertical piece of wood which is placed in the ground. All stumps are of equal length. The bails are smaller, but are also of equal length. The first bail is placed horizontally across the top of the first and second stump, and the second bail is placed across the second and third stump. A bowler's job is to dismiss a batsman. If a bowler hits his stumps, then the batsman has been dismissed and his innings has been completed. The batsman is also classed as being dismissed if he is caught by a fielder, whose job is also to block and retrieve the ball.

Hitting a 'six' is when you hit the ball and it goes over the boundary without bouncing, basically like a home run, if it bounces once or more before it goes over the boundary it is a 'four', another way to score runs is for the two batsmen run to each side of the wicket, the fielder can get them out this way aswell if one of the batsman doesn't make it in time to the other side and the fielder hits the wicket.

There's also a keeper in the game, just like baseball, his job is to catch the ball, and stop from going away anywhere so that the other team can't get extra runs, he's also effectively another fielder, and if you want a success at a run out, throwing it at the wicketkeeper is your best bet.

To get a batsman out, the bails have to be dislodged by the bowler, or if a fielder catches a batsmans shot which is in the air. There's also 'LBW', meaning 'leg before wicket', this is when the batsman has his leg in the way preventing the ball from hitting the stumps, if the 'Umpire' (like a referee) thinks that the ball is going on to hit the wicket if the batsman wasn't in the way, then he's given out.

When you hear the term that the bowler has finished his 'over', it means that he gets to bowl 6 balls in a row, bowling 6 balls = an over, and then another bowler comes in to bowl an over.

In Test cricket, there is no limit in how many overs a bowler can bowl, but in a 50 over game, the maximum a bowler can bowl is 10 overs, and in a 20 over game a bowler can bowl only 4 overs. A batsman however can bat as long as he wants until he gets out, or when he allocated overs are finished.

You don't have to get the whole team all out to win the game, especially in limited overs cricket (50 over and 20 over games), as if you bat first and have more runs than the other team in the allocated amount of time you've won the game.

Test is a little different, in test cricket you have 5 days, both teams bat twice and field twice over these 5 days, it's a little harder to explain, sometimes games end in a draw because there are not allocated overs, even if you don't have enough runs and the 5 days are over it will end in a draw as long as the team batting second hasn't had all their batsman all out.

Test cricket all the players wear white, in the other formats, the teams wear their teams or countries colours.

Both teams bat and field, unlike baseball, the batsman can hit the ball anywhere around the pitch to score runs.

The 'Ashes' is played in the format of test cricket. The boring format to the causual viewers because there is less intent to be aggressive as you have a lot of time and are less restricted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom