Cricket The Ashes 2013

What a strange day. Both teams are throwing their wickets away with only Bell looking like a Test batsman. The fact that a 19 year old number 11 has scored the highest total, bar Bell's centuries (PUN!), says it all really.

2 up with 3 to play, can't see Australia coming back into the series. England may as well order the bus for the open top ride showing off the ashes again.

This Test went more according to the pre-tour script but, I have to admit, the first Test was more exciting. Joe Root looks quite handy with the ball as well as the bat even if he only look about 10.

Just spent an entertaining half-hour reading the comments section of the SMH website, and all the furious diatribes of the Australian fans railing against CA, selectors, T20 mindsets and Clarke. Only a couple of posts whined about "unfair DRS" and dodgy umpiring favouring the Poms, which surprised me, frankly. On the whole, they seem to feel that the lure of T20 money has poisoned the ability of batsmen to play defensively, and that they hung on to "great" players for too long to maintain the winning team, instead of blooding new players gradually through the side.

All of which merely adds relish to the apparent one-sidedness of the current series for me - England aren't quite the dominant force that the scoreline suggests, but now they have a steeliness to them that more than makes up for the occasional top-order wobble. I rarely get excited watching KP come out to bat these days - for all his ability, he seems to get these dog-chasing-cars rushes of blood to the head that make him give his wicket away too quickly.

Best news of the day yesterday was KP getting injured. I just hope he isn't fit enough for the Old Trafford test as he's simply a liability. Yes, on occasions, he might get a big score but he's more likely to get out before scoring 10 and England need better from their top order batsmen. Interesting discussion on TMS about who might replace Pietersen as the well appears quite dry if those talking about it are to be believed, especially as Root has been promoted to open the innings.

Why can't Compton bat at 3 or 4?

Oh, and I thought Bresnan did an oustanding job this match too - his appearance as a "Night-watchman Deluxe" and the controlled spell of miserly bowling yesterday more than justified his selection over Finn.

If Pietersen is unfit for the 3rd test it could be a blessing in disguise. England are in such a powerful position in the series at the moment that they could afford to bring in a player like Ravi Bopara, Nick Compton or James Taylor and it won't really weaken the team, as on current form the loss of Kevin Pietersen is not a big an issue as it would have been maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I'd start bleeding youngsters to be honest so I'd get James Taylor in. KP is 33 so is probably going to need replaced in a couple of years anyway. The way Australia are batting means that the series is all but over anyway.

If I were Australia, I'd trial the 9 man bowling attack. 9 bowlers/all-rounders + Clarke + Haddin.

In essence, if they get bowled for single figures they'd be no different to the actual top order and they would still have Watson's 20-45 lbw at the top of the order.

But it'd be more difficult for England to not match them!

Good day for the Aussies yesterday, just hope the dreaded scoreboard pressure doesn't get to the English batsmen. DRS and umpiring decisions continue to be the main talking point, which is a shame. Thought I'd share this :snigger:

1003758_10151767288829904_1626516375_n.jpg

The Aussies have to win this one so England can expect their bowlers to be seriously fired up. Getting over 500 now means they aren't going to lose the game but the real trick is to find away past the English batsman who, lets be honest, haven't looked that strong so far either.

If England can dig in, I think this test is going to fizzle out into a rather dull draw. The Aussies will be looking to their bowlers to play skittles over the next two days.

Back
Top Bottom