The 2014 Calendar

The official provisional calendar :dunno: released, rather than leaked by the FIA is below.
New Jersey is added seems to be the main talking point. Bahrain has also moved.

2014 F1 calendar:

16 March Grand Prix of Australia
30 March Grand Prix of Malaysia
06 April Grand Prix of Bahrain
20 April Grand Prix of China
27 April Grand Prix of Korea (provisional)
11 May Grand Prix of Spain
25 May Grand Prix of Monaco
01 June Grand Prix of America, New Jersey (provisional*)
08 June Grand Prix of Canada
22 June Grand Prix of Austria
06 July Grand Prix of Great Britain
20 July Grand Prix of Germany (Hockenheim)
27 July Grand Prix of Hungary
24 August Grand Prix of Belgium
07 September Grand Prix of Italy
21 September Grand Prix of Singapore
05 October Grand Prix of Russia (Sochi)
12 October Grand Prix of Japan
26 October Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi
09 November Grand Prix of USA (Austin)
16 November Grand Prix of Mexico (provisional*)
30 November Grand Prix of Brazil

Last edited:
So 22 races planned, place your bets now as to which two are set to drop out to make it 20 and stop the teams getting upset?

Think we are going to lose Korea and New Jersey at this rate but I will be pleasantly surprised if all 22 show up on the final schedule. Though that end of May beginning of June with back to back Monaco, New Jersey and Canada is going to have a few people thinking of running a second team just to get everything moved around the globe in time...

The FIA and FOM have agreed a 25 race limit in their new deal. The teams have always resisted going over 20 but I think this is a case where money talks. Bernie is playing this very well as far as I can tell: the teams and their sponsors want to crack the US, FOM want more races but if the teams won't agree to more than 20, two races in at least one massive new market will be cut.

I know New Jersey are determined to get it on, but have had some issues which I think have come about because of the vicious circle of uncertainty which has surrounded the race. I'm still betting that NJ will happen on the 15th June though with Austria going back 1 week. I know it's Le Mans but by 1pm EST, Le Mans will be finished and the US Open Golf will not yet be in full swing as it takes place in California next year.

22 races also raises the possibility that the engine allotment could be raised from five to six. Engine suppliers can't be expected to supply the additional engine free, so undoubtedly they will respond by increasing lease rates. 2014 engine leases are rumoured to be €21M for five engines (per driver), but Auto Motor und Sport claims the engine suppliers will give a volume discount for the sixth engine and only charge €2M for it. Which raises the further possibility that the two additional races will cost teams an extra €1M each in engine lease costs alone.

Force India team manager Andy Stevenson remarked that even if 2013 rules allowed in-season track testing, they could not afford it because each kilometer costs them €800 in engine lease. Force India are believed to be paying €14M for engines and KERS combined.

Nice to see Mr Blue Sky back again! He loves F1.

I could do without Korea and Austria if I'm honest.

As its being upped to a 25 limit this gives them space to continue with India and finally get the French one back on the calender.

Can someone tell me why we're not going New Jersey, Canada, Texas, Mexico, Brazil? Surely financially that makes the most sense.

But then I guess we should really go Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Korea, China, Russia, Bahrain, Abu dhabDhabi, hungary, Italy, spain, monaco, Germany, Austria, Belgium Britain before that anyways if we were trying to save transport costs.

Ilogical calender.

I've been thinking about that rasp. I think it is partly to do with weather conditions but also to spread the impact on local markets. If you think about the US, having a race in June and another in November gives two chances to hit the sponsors audiences in that country. If they were back to back, the hit would last only a few weeks.

The f1 calender always has been illogical, they could do a lot better to save money.

The problem with Austin is that in June it's to hot and for the Canadian GP it's to cold in November, that's why they are separated that far apart. But to go from Asia--> Europe -->America-->Europe-->Asia-->America, just seems to cost to much money.
But hey, like Bernie says, the teams have to learn to cut costs not the FOM.:rolleyes:

I'd probably go:

AUSTRALIA
BAHRAIN
ABU DHABI

SPAIN
MONACO

NEW JERSEY
CANADA

---------SUMMER BREAK--------
BRITAIN
AUSTRIA
GERMANY

HUNGARY
ITALY

BELGIUM
RUSSIA
MALAYSIA
SINGAPORE

CHINA
KOREA

JAPAN
MEXICO
AUSTIN

BRAZIL

The coloured in races are the back-to-backs. The summer break is in June/July because you can't tell me TV viewing figures aren't affected by a World Cup. Russia would be between Abu Dhabi and Spain but for the Olympics.

This is just rearranging the races we already have. I wouldn't include some of this lot.

Even if you did group all of the races in similar locations, you might not save that much in transport costs, due to the propensity of the teams to want to keep developing the cars between the races...

Bushi

What about going to Canada in October? Surely it isn't that cold in October in Canada?

• Montreal Average Monthly Temperatures: October

[*]Average October temperature: 9.2ºC / 49ºF
    [*]Average October high (day): 12.3ºC / 54ºF
    [*]Average October low (night): 5.9ºC / 43ºF
    [*]Record high: 28.9ºC / 84ºF
    [*]Record low: -7.2ºC / 19ºF
Would be interesting to see how they do under cold conditions.

Last edited:
Even if you did group all of the races in similar locations, you might not save that much in transport costs, due to the propensity of the teams to want to keep developing the cars between the races...

You can't tell me they need to send EVERYTHING back for development! The motor homes? Tyre allocation? Fuel Rigs? Catering van? overalls? Fire proof equiptment? All the IT stuff used to watch lap time data, TV etc? The foldy up chairs the mechanics laze about on? Not to mention outside the teams like FOM and Pirreli!

You're not telling me that F1 would not benifit cost wise from taking the 'world tour' option.

22 races is just not going to happen. Bernie's trying to push the teams and see what they take. It does seem illogical given the increased team costs and it will probably lead to higher staff costs just to relieve the poor saps being away from home for so long.
Mind you, I'd like to see as many races as possible!

So all that shuffling forward of the races from mid-season was to accommodate a races that we all knew would not happen. In the meantime Italy is a week earlier than usual which is liable to either screw my family holiday or the my visit to Monza. Still, middle of August might mean it's warm enough to go to Spa.

Back
Top Bottom