Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Well, I seem to recall at the time saying that I thought it was a good move for Lewis, regardless of how well the Mercedes would perform. I was not sure about that, as the rumblings at the time were that Ross Brawn was a cause of disquiet.

Mercedes have performed completely outside my expectations, and will likely maintain an advantage next season, although how big an advantage remains to be seen.

Lewis became the first driver to win his first two Championships with different teams since Emerson Fittipaldi with Lotus in 1972 and McLaren in 1974. Before that Graham Hill accomplished the feat with BRM in 1962 and Lotus in 1968.

Hamilton was also the first driver since Schumacher in 2002 to appear on the podium in every race he finished.

It's also interesting that the gap between Hill's first and second championship was 6 years which is exactly the same as Hamilton's gap between his first and second. It's rare in F1 to get a driver have two titles that far apart. Lauda waited 7 years between his but then he did retire for a while. Schumacher as the next longest after Hamilton / Hill when he went 5 years from 95 to 2000.

Most drivers tend to win their WDC's in lump when they are most on form. Stewart's three came over 5 years, Seb's was four in a row, Clarks in 3 years (though I'm sure everyone agrees he would have taken a third in 68).

The big question is, in the case of Schumacher it started a dominant run for both driver and team, for Hill it marked the last high point of his time in F1 (not helped of course by his big accident the following year). Which way will Hamilton and Mercedes go?

If I could be bothered, I would track down my own comments on the situation from two years ago.
I was probably just as wrong as some others :D

Well... I found one LOL
Hamilton's career will be a case of missed chances and wrong place, wrong time.
If he does move to Mercedes then that will effectively move him out of the top tier to the next group down.
I think most teams would think twice about employing Hamilton these days as he doesn't seem to have matured as much as he should have.

And around the same time I came up with:
McLaren is the only sensible option for Lewis as far as I'm concerned.
The only things worth considering would be a seat at Ferrari or at a team with Adrian Newey at the helm
Nothing else could guarantee a performance level similar to McLaren's.

Although 10 days later (still before he was confirmed at Mercedes) I softened my stance somewhat:
What conditions would have to be met by Mercedes for them to be a viable option? I would say:
  1. Ross Brawn dedicated to the sport for at least the next five years.
  2. Mercedes dedicated to the sport for at least the next five years.
  3. Mercedes willing to invest and expand to Red Bull/Ferrari type levels to get to the front.
  4. Development for the 2014 engine at an advanced stage and believed to be competitive. Amount invested in engine development equal to or greater than the other manufacturers.
  5. Mercedes/Brawn willing to support Hamilton in the way that Red Bull/Horner support Vettel.
  6. Appropriate salary in comparison to Alonso, Vettel etc.
  7. More control over media commitments.
  8. More relaxed atmosphere/slightly less corporate?
I think Mercedes might be able to offer most of that.

And finally I came up with this beauty as my prediction for 2013:
I really hope that Mercedes can give him a competitive car, if not for 2013 then for 2014, but I just know that with Hamilton's luck Jenson is going to run away with the WDC next year.

You win some you lose some I guess. Sorry for the mass quoting....

P.S. Maybe I did get the bit about only Red Bull and Ferrari offering a similar performance level to McLaren this year right, actually ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom