Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Can we have a smiley that holds a banner saying "only joking" ?? It's highly amusing to compare the corperate machines drivers are expected to be today with those of the past. Could you imagine Hamilton and Rosberg going for an after championship drink and then ending up in a bar with Fernando Alonso and who ever is in charge of Ferrari this week? Different times.

Which is one aspect I really dislike about the modern sport. Harking back Sports Personality Of The Year I remember clips with Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt etc. and they were good fun. Unfortunately most drivers these days are rather dull, partly tied by corporate image but perhaps also just not terribly interesting people outside of the driving.

There is too much money involved, amongst other things.

Professional sports people are a world away from their counterparts of 20+ years ago.

In the same way you won't see a footballer smoking on the pitch during the game any longer, going on drink fuelled benders and wilfully damaging property is not really considered acceptable these days.

I think its more down to who does it not when it was done Brogan. Remember in the same year that was filmed 1996, the England football team were all over the press for their dunken night out in a bar in Hong Kong. Remember Paul Gascgoine's "dentist chair" antics and re-creation of said incident in a goal celebration against Scotland in Euro 96? Damon Hill was Mr Squeeky Clean so to see him get sloshed and then take a bike ride through a hotel was so out of character it was hilarious. Just imagine thd field day the press could have had with it? Drink driving anyone? I reckon Button would have got away with it in the press as well but Hamilton would have been shredded. At the same time, a glass of water melon juice and an appearence with a 9 year old karting champ on 5-live is hardly what you would call "gangsta style"

I'd have to dig through the posts on the wheel spin incident because I can't remeber if I commented on it at the time.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with celebrating what one has achieved nor promoting what one actually believes.

I do have a problem with embracing PR instigated PC to one's own detriment.

Could it be down to the physical and fitness demands on the drivers? I don't believe drivers nowadays really drink alcohol now and they don't seem to take a day off the diet even for Xmas dinner.

I think now drivers don't have a career, they have a way of life that must be abided by 365 days of the year.

What was that song some of the scottish football squad use to sing again?
Ah yes...
"We drink beer!
We drink wine!
We're the scottish forward line!"

About 2009 I have to say that McLaren was a good car for second half of the season. Just look at their qualifying results. I cut the season in two phases, one from Australia to Britain, one from Germany to Abu Dhabi. A clear difference for both can be seen. What is more remarkable, Kovalainen was often ahead in the first half when the car was bad. Of course there are few big differences, like Hamilton crashing in Monaco and being out after Q1 while Kovalainen suffered gearbox failure in Abu Dhabi Q.

Code:
HAM KOV
13 12
13 14
9 12
5 11
14 18
16 7
16 14
19 13
13,125 12,625
5 6
4 6
1 2
12 15
1 4
1 9
3 10
18 17
1 13
5,111111 9,111111

Last edited:
Impressive work Bleu .

Hamilton himself was very public about his disbelief at how different the McLaren felt from Hungary onwards. He said at the time it felt like a totally different car.

Hamilton has now surpassed the achievements of Fernando Alonso.

They are both now double world champions.

wins:
Hamilton - 33
Alonso - 32

podiums:
Alonso - 97
Hamilton - 70

poles:
Hamilton - 38
Alonso - 22

fastest laps:
Alonso - 21
Hamilton - 20

Both are tied on 2 world championships but Hamilton leads by virtue of the extra win.

downforce ...... Somewhat meaningless downforce considering the season just gone. Hamilton has had the benefit of the most dominant car we've seen for many years and the Ferrari Alonso has had to contend with is probably the least competitive car he's had in his career. Lets do the calculation again in two years time. ;)

Back
Top Bottom