Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

If Merc doesn't rise to the occasion, they will run the very real risk of becoming a new BAR/Honda team. The question then would be whether their abysmal performance would turn LH into a new Jacques V.

Really dodged a bullet with those JV comparisons :s

This title is different from 2008 in so many ways, but the fact that his decision to move to Mercedes has worked out so splendidly must me extremely satisfying. He is a perfect fit for that team and I expect they'll both be as hungry as ever next year.

I think he will surpass Senna 's 3 titles and wins no doubt which will mean something to him

I've heard a few people say this but I'm not so sure. He's 29 and realistically got around 6 or 7 chances at a WDC. Perhaps another 1 but I'd be surprised if there's a Vettel-esque run of championships. Next year might just be his best chance as it's likely he will have a dominant car still.

It's interesting reading what was said a couple of years ago when Hamilton announced he was leaving for Mercedes.

Martin Whitmarsh said:
Mercedes is a great partner of ours and they are a great team. But for anyone leaving McLaren, and he wants to win, I think that's a mistake because I have faith and belief in this team. Whether you measure it over the last four races, four years or 40 years, we're a fantastic team. So I would say to any driver who wanted to win in this sport: 'Come and join McLaren and aspire to join McLaren'. I wouldn't advise anyone to leave McLaren if they want to win

Oh dear...

Glad to see the over-opinionated, frequently insulting Joe Saward got it completely wrong too.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report...-lewis-hamilton-quit-mclaren-to-join-mercedes

If I had Hamiltons talent and Mclaren were cutting my salary I would of signed for Mercedes already.
Merc have a huge budget and talent such as Brawn, given time they will come good. I recon world champions by 2014.

For me its a no brainer, Mclaren are taking the pee, the deal they are offering is an insult.

Plus Rosberg is his pal.

Ditch them Lewis.

Other than the 'pal' bit, I called this pretty good. :thankyou:

I think McLaren sometimes is not the easiest place to live, – Fernando Alonso, Ferrari.

There's another set of prophetic words :D

As for Joe Saward's comments:

The drivers he mentions knew what they were joining. Wolf were on the slide from their impressive debut season. Frank Williams had pulled out and gone to run his team in his own right. Wolf were running a single car and it was always going to be a struggle. Fittipaldi joined Copersucar as a start up outfit because it was an attractive proposition to him to race in his family team and develop it, Lauda was tempted by Ecclestone and the Alfa works deal and made it a winning team again, sadly ground effects and unreliable flat 12's don't go together. As we all know, Villeneuve went to BAR because they promised to pay him a decent wage and set up a team around his needs. What driver would turn that down?

I would also presume then that Joe Saward would say that Schumacher was wrong to leave Benneton at the end of 95 to join Ferrari ??

Lewis became the first driver to win his first two Championships with different teams since Emerson Fittipaldi with Lotus in 1972 and McLaren in 1974. Before that Graham Hill accomplished the feat with BRM in 1962 and Lotus in 1968.

Hamilton was also the first driver since Schumacher in 2002 to appear on the podium in every race he finished.

There's another set of prophetic words :D

As for Joe Saward's comments:

The drivers he mentions knew what they were joining. Wolf were on the slide from their impressive debut season. Frank Williams had pulled out and gone to run his team in his own right. Wolf were running a single car and it was always going to be a struggle. Fittipaldi joined Copersucar as a start up outfit because it was an attractive proposition to him to race in his family team and develop it, Lauda was tempted by Ecclestone and the Alfa works deal and made it a winning team again, sadly ground effects and unreliable flat 12's don't go together. As we all know, Villeneuve went to BAR because they promised to pay him a decent wage and set up a team around his needs. What driver would turn that down?

I would also presume then that Joe Saward would say that Schumacher was wrong to leave Benneton at the end of 95 to join Ferrari ??

you could argue that Lauda helped spearhead Brabham last hurrah that would come a little later in the hands of Piquet Sr.

Back
Top Bottom