Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I'm not bothered by Hamilton's tattoo or whether or not he wants to be a hip hop boy. What concerns me much more is the effect that the noise of the circuit and pit lane has on the dog. Dogs have very sensitive hearing, the sound of the engines will be painful to it.

I don't normally say told you so, but I told you so. John Watson is saying exactly what I said regarding dogs at circuits and distractions, way back in March on page 203 and 204 of this thread. I've also commented on all the hangers on in the McLaren garage. Canada two seasons ago looked like a rap session was about to break out. No wonder he crashed into his teammate, too many people to distract him instead of concentrating on the job in hand. To be honest he's impressed me hugely this season, he's looking like his own man for the first time in his life, I just wish he could find the right balance and commitment to move his career forward and become a genuine title contender again. He really should take notice of John Watson.

I think Lewis's tattoos are like a piece of artwork, very different to the images you usually associate with tattoos. I can understand how they may not appeal to everyone, but I don't think they're offensive. They're of a religious nature, well part of them is, which isn't my scene at all, but I like the overall look. But it's irrelevant really, it's his choice. I support him because of his driving, not his body art.
On the need to appeal to advertisers he's the most marketable f1 driver. He's in the list of top fifty most marketable sports stars in the world. So the tattoos haven't done much damage there.

Kewee you're having to dig back to two seasons ago to produce evidence that you feel Lewis was distracted? Do you mean when he was taken out by Jenson? I'd hardly call that a lapse in concentration on Lewis' part. And he didnt have a dog then.
Lewis has a life. I know that pains people for some reason. Lewis has current issues getting the braking on the Merc to a point where he has complete confidence in the car, he said this and he's working on this.He needs this to drive at his best. I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with his dog or Canada two years ago.

Tattoos are a cultural and personal identity issue. Folk's don't turn up to interviews naked and I doubt Lewis will ever need another job interview in his life. If he's half as astute as i think he is he already has enough money stashed to retire tomorrow and live off the interest. I may be wrong in this but I would expect and hope that the pooch is actually somewhere less noisy when action is happening on track. There are probably areas in the hospitality suites with decent sound insulation anyway (I've never been in one so don't know for sure). Pets offer a form of companionship and spending time with them helps one to relax and calm ones head. That's hardly a distraction, more like therapy.

So leaving that lot out of the equation what about other distractions from lifestyle? Well so long as he's not getting drunk or stoned and he gets enough sleep, then having a good time is surely no bad thing. There's a somewhat over used and tired but no less true old adage "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". In fact, since his life is on the line every time he takes to the track it could be argued he should make sure he enjoys himself when and while he can.

John Watson's racing career pales in comparison to Lewis who has not yet even reached his peak. Lewis eclipsed Watty's 5 wins, 29 podiums, 2 pole positions, 5 fastest laps and 168 career points in F1 in his first couple of years. So maybe Watty screwed his own career partying. Only he knows, but obviously he didn't save himself having to get another day job. Don't expect to see Lewis in a commentary box anytime soon, other than as a guest, that is!

The bottom line is that a driver's life belongs to them, not to his/her employers, the media, us or anybody else. Providing an individual meets the obligations they have accepted then fair dinkums. The folk's who make it into F1 and perform every race weekend do it in the full glare of the public and the media, allowing us to share some of their life. I regard that as a privilege and their personal lives are none of my business.

Watson is a motor sport commentator and pundit which I believe is not the same job as a tabloid gossip columnist. Perhaps he should confine himself to performing his duties to the best of his abilities and leave the BS writing to those who are clearly better at it.

Well, personally I am glad that John Watson has managed to sort out all the other more important things which currently besmirch F1. No doubt we will hear his solutions to the tyre issues, overtaking, cost controls etc once they have all been ratified, and the brandy and cigars have been dished out.

I am sure that is the case. Then he can look into the real issues, like which font the results should be published in, and whether the drivers seat belts should all be a uniform colour.

Kewee you're having to dig back to two seasons ago to produce evidence that you feel Lewis was distracted? Do you mean when he was taken out by Jenson? I'd hardly call that a lapse in concentration on Lewis' part. And he didnt have a dog then.
Lewis has a life. I know that pains people for some reason. Lewis has current issues getting the braking on the Merc to a point where he has complete confidence in the car, he said this and he's working on this.He needs this to drive at his best. I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with his dog or Canada two years ago.
The part of my posting you've objected to was a little tongue-in-cheek. The fact I followed that remark by saying he's impressed me hugely this season should have hinted more than a little that I regard Hamilton very highly, but I've been saying for years he has too many distractions. I'm not a Vettel fan as most know but he is a perfect example of total commitment and zero distractions. Have you ever seen his very beautiful partner at a GP. They've been together since their school days and clearly are totally committed to each other but she also understands her man is at work when he's at the track. I stand by my belief that a circuit is no place for a dog and whether you believe it or not Roscoe will be a distraction he could do without, at least during his settling in period at Mercedes.

Watty is just getting on a bit. He seems to be somewhat confused about Lewis Hamilton. Back in April he was complaining that McLaren were suffering without Lewis. Maybe we should have a Watty thread. I've got his stat's to start one off if anyone is actually interested.:)

I think too many people are jumping the gun here, has anyone seen the dog in the garage or around the cars?

From Hamilton's BBC column...

I'm staying in a motorhome at the track and my sister is looking after him when I'm busy. I'm going to try to bring him into the paddock the odd time if I can.
But we obviously have to be a bit careful because F1 cars are pretty loud if you're a human, never mind for dogs. His welfare is the most important thing, so he won't be coming into the garage with me or anything like that.

Thanks for that no-FIAt-please, I thought I'd read that somewhere but couldn't find it. Oh, and I've just been double checking Watty's stats and apparently he's only 7 years older than myself. He looks like 76 not 67 so I guess he's talking from experience as he must have partied a darned sight more than I ever have. He's plumb wore out, poor chap. Nevertheless I stand by my earlier comments.:)

I think too many people are jumping the gun here, has anyone seen the dog in the garage or around the cars?

From Hamilton's BBC column...

97f892e0c16f11e2bccd22000ae91234_7.jpg

He said that he had issues with the brakes all the way through practice to the end of qually, when he changed some setting or other and just at the end of qually the issue went away and he was fine.

In the race he appeared to be right on Rosbergs pace all the way through and the dropping from 2nd to 4th was nothing to do with pace or brake issues, I've not actually seen or heard any interviews from him about the race so I don't know what is was like for him then.

But he and the team have had 2 weeks to trawl through the telemtry so hopefully they can have pin pointed the issue or at least made progress. Canada will reveal...

And he's a Montreal specalist so it will be an interesting teammate duel to follow at the weekend.

Plus as Monaco is unique this will be the first time to see if Mercedes gained anything from the test.

Watson does like to stir it up a bit, but there's a slightly wider picture there having to do with old-school V 2013 F1 drivers.
Watson and Jackie Stewart, who was critical of Hamilton during the 2011 campaign came from an era when nothing beyond racing exists once you lower your visor. Lewis and the generation of drivers he belongs to are part of the Facebook/Twitter generation in which discussing everyday life issues with millions at the touch of an "Enter" key is an integral part of life.
It's neither a good nor a bad thing, it just is a changing world, not just a changing motorsport culture.
But it seems some of the ex-drivers are uncomfortable with the fact that today's drivers are in a world where the year is 2013 and somehow think that drivers' attitudes should stuck in the seventies.

Back
Top Bottom