Singapore 2008 under investigation

If Renault are bang to rights, as it would appear, Pat is doomed to be banned from motorsport for an indeterminate period anyway. He's got a choice between FIA immunity and Flavio immunity.

It's an unenviable choice, but I think I'd sooner have Flavio looking after my interests given the FIA's past record.

Well that says it all, doesn't it?

That's going to have huge repercussions for Renault and F1 as a whole.

Will Briatore still be managing drivers after this? I doubt it.

Will Renault leave the sport if they are found guilty (which is looking increasingly likely)?

Will the FIA make any changes to the 2008 results?

I think they may just ban Flab and Pat for life from any FIA affiliated motorsport. Or at least Flab, Pat may still get away with it if he accepts immunity..

The one thing about the unfortuanate :snigger: departure of Briatore and Symonds is that Renault have decided not to contest the allegations made against them.

So, to put it simply, they've pleaded guilty and sacked the two men that they believe are responsible. Who'd have thought it, eh, Nelsinho Piquet is Flavio's "executioner".

I doubt we'll be seeing Pat Symonds, Flavio Briatore or Nelsinho Piquet in Formula One again.

Now all that needs to be sorted is Renault's punishment, which should have just got milder considering everyone involved has left the team.

Well considering Renault escaped any form of penalty for having the McLaren documents, I would expect the punishment this time to be at least equal to what McLaren received.

In addition I expect further penalties for endangering lives.

If Renault decide to pull out as a result, will they do so immediately and if so, where does that leave Red Bull?

I'm no F1 Team Manager, but I would like to think those that are would see NPj as corruptible, but not corrupt.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to F1 next season. The other 2 can go whistle.

Regarding the penalty - with McLaren, Max stated that the penalty was proportionate to their ability to pay and a smaller team would've got a lesser fine. On this basis the Renault fine could be enormous.
On the other hand he has been saying recently that the McLaren fine reflected the better economic times, and that if the same thing occurred now then the fine was likely to have been less.

So who knows? I think it'll be a fine at least, anyhow. Perhaps DQ from the WCC this year or next year.

Brogan said:
If Renault decide to pull out as a result, will they do so immediately and if so, where does that leave Red Bull?

I think Red Bull will be allowed the Renault engines until the end of the season, and we know they won't have Renault engines next season anyway so it all levels out in the end.

Muddytalker said:
I'm no F1 Team Manager, but I would like to think those that are would see NPj as corruptible, but not corrupt.

I'm no F1 Team Manager, but I think there'll be few out there willing to risk NPj shopping them in for the benefits he brings to the driving side of things ie. none. I think Alonso would have been unemployable after 2007 if it weren't for the fact he's a damn good driver. His results haven't ever been good enough to pull stunts like this!

I have a vague recollection that during "Spygate" McLaren were given the option of getting rid of Ron Dennis and there would be no further sanction. Perhaps this is a pre-emptive move by Renault who will go to the WMSC and plead that they have removed the rotten apples and therefore deserve no further punishment.

It's not as if the head of Renault rang up Flav and said "Look mush, or whatever mush is in French, you had better win some races this season otherwise it's concrete boots time". It does appear to be something concocted between Briatore, Symonds and a rather gullible NPj.

My bet is that the results of the Renault team are wiped from the records for last season and that will be an end to it.

One thought which has just crossed my mind, didn't Alonso short fuel his car at one of this season's races and pop up on pole. Does anyone remember what lap Piquet crashed in that race? Conspiracy, what conspiracy?

As we know the teams (and drivers?) earn money based on the points they score.

Will Renault and/or Alonso have to repay any of that money if the results are changed?

McLaren kept their drivers points so there is a precident there although almost certainly Alonso will be stripped of the win in Singapore. If Renault have their points wiped they will probably have to repay Bernie their "winnings" and all the money they have had for transport assistance this year.

Even without a fine it could be pretty expensive for them.

ROFL

outsidefiahq400.jpg

Meanwhile, in the Place de la Concorde...

FB said:
One thought which has just crossed my mind, didn't Alonso short fuel his car at one of this season's races and pop up on pole. Does anyone remember what lap Piquet crashed in that race? Conspiracy, what conspiracy

I assume you are refering to Hungary. Well, Piquet finished the race, but remember that Alonso had his tyre bouncing down the track just after his first stop. This was the race that Briatore left before the end of the race despite having Piquet's car still running, and Piquet was fired the next week.

Back
Top Bottom