Technical Pirelli tyres 2016

Was the high-mandated PSI related to the tyre failures suffered by Williams and Renault in the practice sessions? I'm not sure if either team got to the bottom of it but it sounded like tyres were touching bodywork.

Another standard week for Pirelli.

First they piss off everyone by forcing the tires into a PSI that nobody would ever run. Which some have put forward as a main reason for the suspension failures.

Then their product explodes again after just 75 miles or so. Quite noble of Seb to hold his tongue this time though.

For the sake of good racing, what is the best way to build a tire? Long lasting with steady degradation? Consistent lap times with sudden drop off?

I dont think its any argument to say Pirelli wet tyres are not in same league as bridgestone wet tyres used to be

Do they need to go & borrow bernies sprinklers for constant wet testing & as in pre season testing they flooded the track but 45mins later its dried out which makes any proper wet testing results pointless

To be fair this must have been the wettest race since Canada 2011. Somehow there are plenty of races where the advance weather information is that it will pour down but when it comes to race day it's dry as a bone.

It's not all about the tyres, I think the ride height is causing the plank to act like a surfboard. Do they need a ride height raising button for wet weather?

The tyres do that to a degree, if it is raised too much the underfloor downforce will be impacted leading to a worse issue.

It should be noted (again) that it's pointless to do laps behind the Safety Car in the wet. They're going too slow to generate heat into the tires and they're also not clearing enough water. Combine that with what is considered a poor extreme tire and the first lap after calling in Maylander is sure to be hectic in truly soggy conditions.

I know Pirelli wet Tyres aren't in same league as bridgestone wet tyres. But technically what made Bridgestone tyres able to cope with weather like 2008 british gp, but pirellis struggle with constant light drizzle. Is it that they cant generate any heat in the tyres, cant shift enough water or another technical reason

Pirelli for 2017 will drastically improve their wet tyres according to Paul Hembery, sporting director Pirelli. Hope we all see the difference comparing to 2016.

Back
Top Bottom