Technical Pirelli tyres 2016

CVy3wB2XIAAXJkx.png:large

http://www.fia.com/file/37632/download?token=nmuz5dKl

Pirelli/ FIA must provide all competitors the tyre specifications, 15 week BEFORE Australian GP (March 20th) = Sunday 6, DECEMBER 2015.

teams must inform FIA the tyre specifications they wish to use 14week BEFORE Australian GP (March 20th) = Sunday 13, DECEMBER 2015.

NO COMMENT.

Here's how I imagine the tyre rules for Australia:

Pirelli says "righto chaps, the compounds available are Supersoft, Soft and Medium"
The teams say "what's that mean? :dunno: We call 'em prime and option"
Pirelli says "you know... the red one, the yellow one and the white one... you'll have to call em something like option, prime and optimusprime just to confuse the fans as much as possible"
The fans say "aw, we wanted to see the new pretty purple one :disappointed:"
Pirelli says "sorry, we're scared it'll explode after half a lap :o so we're only using it at a couple of races"
The FIA then says "we've heard some F1 fans think that qualifying should be about cars being the fastest possible, so we insist that one of your 13 sets is the supersoft, and you have to save it for Q3! :clip:"
Pirelli then says "we insist that one of your sets is the Soft and one of the sets is the Medium. You probably should hold onto them, use em if you want in practice or quali, but if you do you're gonna find yourself short of tyres come raceday, so don't come complaining to us :p"
The teams then say, "psst, FIA, this is our secret selection of the ten other sets of tyres."
Pirelli then gets to work making those tyres in Turkey. Maurizio says "Bonjourno Pirelli :friends:, would you mind making some tyres that are especially crappy for Mercedes like you did in Singapore? :please:" But then the FIA throws all the tyres into three giant hats marked "M", "S" and "SS", and picks out each team's selection at random, so Maurizio's villainous plan is foiled. The tyres are loaded onto a boat which sails off to Oz.
During the race buildup the FIA says "ahem, these are tyres that everyone chose.... aren't Haas stooopid for picking 10 sets of the supersoft cos they don't know Pirellis disintegrate, hahaha :snigger:"
Then fiiiiiiinally the season kicks off :D. After each practice session every driver gives back two sets of tyres from the 10 they chose. Maldonado looks miffed because he has to give back an unused set after crashing into the lake on the first lap. :facepalm:
We get to qualifying. Because it is soooo amazingly close this year with just 0.005 of a second covering the front to back row, every driver will have to use a new set of supersofts to get through each qualifying session. This pisses off Mercedes, as they had assumed they'd blitz the field so had only nominated 10 sets of soft tyres and promptly they get knocked out in Q1 :o.
We get to Q3. Pirelli says "hey, you guys who suck and didn't make it.... we feel sorry for you :friends: so you can have that set of supersofts you saved for Q3 for the race instead."
The FIA then says, "hey, you guys in Q3, we don't like you >:( so we're gonna take those supersofts you saved for Q3 off you even though they're flatspotted and pretty much useless for the race now anyway. Also, you're gonna have to use those supersofts you used in Q2 to start the race on."
Vettel says "um... my Q2 set got punctured on the way back to the pits... it definitely wasn't from cutting corners or anything like that :whistle:" And then the FIA say, "don't worry Seb, you can swap 'em, as long as the replacement tyres are vaguely the same no one else will notice. :twisted:"
Then the FIA reshuffles the grid by giving grid penalties to drivers it doesn't like :spank:.
It's finally race day :D. The FIA says "pit stops are fun and Pirelli want to show off their different coloured tyres so you all need to use at least two different compounds in the race. :dizzy: We don't care which two though."
Then there's a sudden thunder storm, so all those tyre rules end up not mattering and we have 10 laps on wet tyres behind the safety car before the teams decide that it's more fun to red flag the race and have a boat race in the lake instead. :teary:

What is interesting is that they'll have to nominate quite a few races before Melbourne. A team making a complete chuff up of the regulations will be forced to watch as their chuff up continues, perhaps up to Austria.

I just read a race report on the 1966 Belgian GP, and it contained an indicator on how times have changed.

Ferrari, who won the race (with Surtees aboard), had a contract with Dunlop to use their tyres. However, the contract contained a provision allowing Ferrari to use another brand if it proved superior!!! Surtees won the race on Firestones!!! The article stated that swapping brands was commonplace for all the teams, though most DID have contracts with one provider.

Can you imagine that happening now?????

Very conservative of Pirelli not to bring the ultrasoft to Sochi considering the low wear and degradation: Alonso did 40 laps on the supersoft in 2015. For Sochi's 10 tyres I'd go 5 supersoft, 5 soft. Maybe even 6 supersoft, 4 soft.

The ultra was for street circuits - I'd have thought Sochi let that description.

You'd only bother with the medium if you needed a Rosberg 14 strategy though.

I just read a race report on the 1966 Belgian GP, and it contained an indicator on how times have changed.

Ferrari, who won the race (with Surtees aboard), had a contract with Dunlop to use their tyres. However, the contract contained a provision allowing Ferrari to use another brand if it proved superior!!! Surtees won the race on Firestones!!! The article stated that swapping brands was commonplace for all the teams, though most DID have contracts with one provider.

Can you imagine that happening now?????

Surtees won the 1966 Belgian Grand Prix on Dunlop Wet tires, but he did set the Pole on Firestone's in ideal conditions.

belgian-gp | Motor Sport Magazine Archive

And I had to chuckle at one of Jenks' final conclusions;

I would have thought a lap at an average speed of 232.844 k.p.h. (nearly 145 m.p.h.) would have convinced most people that a 3-litre G.P. car is an exciting piece of machinery; and that Surtees ranks pretty high as a G.P. driver, but a depressing number of people seemed singularly unimpressed; or is it going to be "fashionable" to be lukewarm in your enthusiasm for anything other than Mini racing.

As a complete aside, at the Fans Forum a couple of years ago John Watson said that at the race after his first win in Austria ('76) the car handled like a bag of nails so they put the tyres he had used in Austria back on and the good handling returned. He used them for the race.

It strikes me that it is beyond bizarre that Pirreli make tyre decisions months before a race. Or that they dictate what tyres will be used.
A team knows it's cars and what tyres will work best on them, why should Pirreli be able to dictate. Is F1 about cars or Pirreli tyres.

Back
Top Bottom