Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
Loved to see Lewis confidently back at the front and red bull back in the mix.

Too much certainty at the front, and not enough focus on the middle where it was at.

A still hopeful 7

Last edited:
I gave it a 3 it was a bloody awful race, made worse by the fuel usage graphic like I said in chat it was like watching a documentary on fuel economy....

This fuel saving crap has simply replaced the crappy tyres from last year...

A simple fix increase the amount of fuel allowed which would mean the engines can rev higher and in turn be a lot louder and there you have it two birds killed with one stone...

Last edited:
My point is true they talked about conserving fuel throughout the whole race practically non stop and I didn't say I would prefer one over the other I said I hate both equally, and the only reason the graphic showed they had enough fuel was because they were conserving in the first place those cars could have gone much faster if were not for the lack of fuel...

Whoever heard of racing involving engines where you have to coast through parts of the lap so as not to run out of fuel.? It's a bloody nonsense, and to think I was actually looking forward to this season...

They had to do that as his FIA supplied fuel flow meter had failed.
That was the fallback plan which had been agreed with the FIA.

6, two average races.

Even the hated DRS is not adding in much action, can't say I have much hope for this season. Might turn out to be like 2012 with Hamilton/Rosberg building up an early lead while Vettel recovers to win but without the 7 out of 7 different winners.

7 for me.
Not the most exciting race to watch but odd flurries of attempted overtakes held the interest just enough.
Would've been a 6 but added one for the radio entertainment provided by Williams.

IMHO Malaysia is one of the worst of the Tilkedromes. It's so wide and featureless that there is little impression of speed and in fact to me this years' cars looked slow. Apart from the first 15 or so minutes and the few battles the race was dull. As I fell asleep during the live coverage I thought I was just very tired. Wide awake, I watched the afternoon rerun and guess what ... I fell asleep again! FFS!

Sorry, it got a 5 from me and I'm wondering if my optimism for this season was misplaced. Mind you I have been seriously down for the past month so maybe if I watch it in 10 years time I might enjoy it as a classic :rolleyes:.

Personally speaking, I don't mind one driver creaming the opposition when there is plenty of action going on. What worries me is how sterile the first two races seem to have been. The quest for reliability and economy over performance appears to have resulted in an ever more risk averse formula. We need Red Bull to fully get their act together and all the teams to get a bit more comfortable about where their limits are and to shake off this apparent nervousness. Maybe then they will let their hair down and enable all of the drivers to race like the handful who really looked like they were trying yesterday.

It goes without saying that safety has been a major driver of risk aversion but it has been compounded by an almost over the top requirement to save fuel, money and the car in general. It seems that wasting the planet has caught up with us in a big way already. It's one thing to be averse to death but pretty soon we'll not be allowed to stub a toe. Add to that an aversion to hurting our beloved racecar and it will all be over for F1.:D

Formula E will give us some refuge but I predict the launch of Formula P(edal Car) by the end of the century!LOL

I've no problem with fuel quantity limits but less happy with fuel flow limits... seems such an unnecessary level of regulation. Why not just have a tank that can ONLY hold 100kg / 100 litres of fuel?

I do like the return to tyres that don't shed marbles all over the track. Finally, after too many years, drivers can now use the whole track without pirouetting into the gravel traps as soon as they step off-line.

Despite that... Malaysia was distinctly average.

Gave it a 5.

It had some battles in the beginning, the second half was utterly dull. There was a chance of Seb catching Nico, until they asked him for a 5sec. gap and he hit the throttle on the straight and pulled away 0.5 tenths even when Seb was in the DRS zone. It just feels the teams are to far away from each other competition wise, except for Hulkenberg who seems to trow his car between the top teams once and a while.

It's gonna be one boring season me thinks, 2011 all over again.

So what's changed from last year? Mercedes and Red Bull have swapped places; Hamilton and Rosberg doing very good impressions of Vettel and Webber respectively. Mind you, Ricciardo seems to have inherited more than a car from Mark.

Williams are the new Lotus and Lotus are the old Williams, poor poor Pastor, while Sauber have very quietly, almost silently, fallen on their collective arse.

The races of Alonso and Button were so familiar it was frightening, frankly. This so-called shake-up is proving a personal let-down.

Oh, 4.

Back
Top Bottom