Poll Out of Ten - 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

2013 Monaco Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
Red bull could have challenged the Mercs, but for some reason just cruised behind them all race

As I posted previously, unless you can get past within a lap or two (virtually impossible at Monaco), you have to drop back and create a 2 second gap to stop the tyres being destroyed.

So it was just follow the leader for the most part.

It's farcical how this circuit would never pass FIA scrutiny these days yet remains on the calendar.

A few drivers resorting to Dick Dastardly overtaking, and causing accidents, does not IMHO liven up a Grand Prix
- it merely highlights how bad the race really was as a whole...... 4 for me, lowest of the season so far.

I'm guessing all those who voted down Spain for having too many overtakes will have enjoyed it. :snigger:

Red Bull telling Vettel as early as Lap 5 (I think it was) to drop back from Hamilton was ridiculous
- but the cynic in me sees it as bullshit excellent PR and 'playing to the right crowd'
- probably why Bernie insisted it was picked to broadcast.

As I posted previously, unless you can get past within a lap or two (virtually impossible at Monaco), you have to drop back and create a 2 second gap to stop the tyres being destroyed.

So it was just follow the leader for the most part.

It's farcical how this circuit would never pass FIA scrutiny these days yet remains on the calendar.

That may well be true- my issue is that if you have the car behind pushing hard, there is at least some chance of the car I front also having tyre problems.... Look at the tactics of Tim Birkin and the Bentley boys in the 1930? (Or was it 1929) Le Mans.... Birkin pushed the Mercedes very hard, which led to the supercharged Merc (and the supercharged Bentley) giving up the ghost, but allowing a famous victory for Bentley!

8 its better than Spain but safety car meant Mercedes messed up and somehow Vettel in the carnage seems to benefit

A few more bold moves from some drivers

5. Poor race (what did we expect?) livened up by some great moves by the Force Indias and some exciting, if clumsy, moves by Perez. Happy for Rosberg's win, but agree with DC's "This is rubbish!" over the amount of tyre conservation.

At the risk of being a slightly more pessimistic version of gethinceri, its a 7. There wasn't much overtaking, but some good stuff when it came, there was a load of drivers having a fight with the wall. We also may have seen the coming of a world class driver today. (Admittedly, he may be a second Webber.)

Jules Bianchi is not a member of Clip the Apex, because he would score it -3000.

After much deliberation I'm giving it a wobbly six because:

• Monaco atmosphere and supreme challenge re: driver vs circuit: + 2 points
  • Solid drive from Rosberg with The Ham playing rear gunner: + 2 points
  • Entertainment value provided by the chaps who got it wrong: + 2 points
  • Entertainment value provided by the chaps who got it right: + 2 points
  • Monaco marshals demonstrating their skills and the right way to clear up after a crash: + 2 points
  • Excessive tyre conservation with only two blokes (Vettel, Raikkonen) showing what might have been: - 2 points
  • Sub-zero teams (Marussia, Caterham) lapping faster (when they had the space) than the top four: - 2

After much deliberation I'm giving it a wobbly six because:

• Monaco atmosphere and supreme challenge re: driver vs circuit: + 2 points
  • Solid drive from Rosberg with The Ham playing rear gunner: + 2 points
  • Entertainment value provided by the chaps who got it wrong: + 2 points
  • Entertainment value provided by the chaps who got it right: + 2 points
  • Monaco marshals demonstrating their skills and the right way to clear up after a crash: + 2 points
  • Excessive tyre conservation with only two blokes (Vettel, Raikkonen) showing what might have been: - 2 points
  • Sub-zero teams (Marussia, Caterham) lapping faster (when they had the space) than the top four: - 2

I like this system, perhaps we ought to expand upon it. Give this whole subjective points out of ten a little more objectivity...

Entertainment value? What The Flying :censored: has that got to do with anything?

If I want entertainment I watch WWE or Synchro Swim or repeats of some Dodgy Geezers in a Reliant Robin.

All laugh-a-minute entertainment but none of them are sport. :givemestrength:

Late getting to this. It may have been the late night/7 am start here in the states but I fell asleep in the latter half of the race which happened to be the most exciting. I gave it a 2 simply because I was bored out of my mind. Hate to see Kimi and Vettel showing glimpses of what was possible pace wise but having to drop back to conserve tires as well as not having many overtaking opportunities. Also, I was pretty heated with Perez by the end of the race. I appreciate being aggressive but he was becoming a bit reckless and it cost him in the end, not to mention seriously hurting Kimi's standing in the title hunt.

So after a week succesfully avoiding all knowledge of the result I finally managed to sit down and watch quali and the race last night. It was exactly what I expected from a Monaco Grand Prix and as I quite like Monaco as an event it gets a nice healthy 6 from me.

I'm liking the way Bernie has obviously taken note of the superbowl and introduced breaks in the races so we can all refill on beer and hotdogs whilst watching adverts.

So after a week succesfully avoiding all knowledge of the result I finally managed to sit down and watch quali and the race last night. It was exactly what I expected from a Monaco Grand Prix and as I quite like Monaco as an event it gets a nice healthy 6 from me.

I'm liking the way Bernie has obviously taken note of the superbowl and introduced breaks in the races so we can all refill on beer and hotdogs whilst watching adverts.

Ahh, that kinda clarifies why you rated it with a 6, you had beer during the race. :)

Back
Top Bottom