Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

With Rosenqvist signed up for Indy Car and quick Nick going his own way I was wondering who was going to be at Mahindra this year and....

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-...ein-and-dambrosio-for-fe-season-five/3195762/

Wehrlein is odd but I'll talk about that over on his thread. D'ambrosio is an interesting one as he has performed well in Formula E but has bad poor cars. Will be interesting to see how he does.

BMW have topped the timings on the first two days of testing. Only testing but was not expecting that. Usual suspects of Audi, Mahindra and Teechetah near the top but Nissan and Jag at the very back.

They did a race simulation today which I assume would include the new 'boost lane' format but I can't find much in the reports on how that worked.

Id think highly unlikely if nissan were at the bottom at bottom in saudi arabia. considering how dominant edams were & new virgin audi have always been front runners & he was 19th

Expected with Virgin to be honest. As a customer team they have only had two days of running with the new power unit. Teechetah overcame that last year but had been running it for a few seasons. Tough ask for Virgin to be on point straight away.

I'll stand by my prediction that Jag will announce they are pulling out before the end of the season if (as seems likely from testing so far) their results don't significantly improve.

just seen on twitter, through F1 broadcasting blog. there is talk of BBC taking the coverage but only through their red button service & youtube which Is better than nothing. but I worry for the having zero pre & post race

having to watch it live or nothing could be problematic, as we aren't living in 1998 now tv guides are almost pointless for 95% for shows because majority of people now watch things on demand, either through recorded programs on sky+ or TiVo. or through streaming like Netflix or amazon prime

but it seem potentially because they did announce in mar 2018 that, The BBC has announced further details of its plan to stream 1,000 extra hours of live sport a year.

BBC Sport gives more details on plan to broadcast 1,000 extra hours of live sport a year

I can't figure out why the BBC hide so much away on obscure channels and yet show endless repeats and guff on the main ones.

If it's on the red button it will be on iPlayer. It was with the recent live NFL.

I think the BBC is Formula E's natural home if you look at the aims of the sport and the aims of the organisation. Hopefully they'll figure that out.

I might give it another go. I watched the first ever race but wasn't that impressed by the racing, plus the odd noise the cars make really got to me (certain sounds have a physical effect on me which I know sounds weird but there you go) I will have another look when the season starts again. Who knows, it might even turn out to be more interesting than F1!! :whistle: At least if it's not the races don't last as long.

Last edited:
Definitely give it a go. I started watching the 1st one as curiousity but kept going not missed 1 & entertaining racing

Im different because ive never seen noise being a huge factor. As long as we have great racing i dont mind & of course you have your dreadful races (mexico & paris) like all series but more times it can be fantastic. Also it very un predictable 3/4 of grid have realistic ambitions to be on podium through pace strategy or luck. Basic aerodynamics on the old car meant cars could follow

we have arguably a have as grid strength in depth not far off F1 because of talent trumps money Seb Buemi, António Félix da Costa, Jean-Éric Vergne, Felipe Massa, Lucas di Grassi, Tom Dillmann, Stoffel Vandoorne, Mitch Evans, Sam Bird & last season we had Kamui Kobayashi, Nick Heidfeld, Felix Rosenqvist

This should be a good video from season 3 to help you with racing albeit from old series

Last edited:
First race is on 15th Dec in Saudi Arabia Angel and it's the first race with generation 2 cars which apparently have a different sound to the generation 1 sound. No one so really sure what the racing is going to be like with the new cars but as always the lack of aero means cars can follow each other and overtaking is possible. Good group of talented drivers on the grid too.

It is nowhere near the professional level F1 is but it is improving and is entertaining to watch. iPlayer will now mean it's easy to do catch up too! Give it a go and I hope you're ok with the sound. Something like that must be difficult at times.

I did look up the race calendar and who is racing, looks good so as I say I will give it another go. That's good news on the different sound, hopefully it's one I can tolerate more now.

Yes the sound thing can be very difficult, sadly it's only part of a long list of things that I can't tolerate health wise.

So it's been announced that Quest will show highlights and 4 live races for Formula E next season.

Quest gets green light to show Formula E in 2018-19 season

To be honest with the races streaming live on BBC services and available on catch up there too I'm not sure this will promote the sport much but I guess will drag in some of the channel hoppers and hardcore sports fans.

I think the BBC will gradually up its output on Formula E as it grows but I might be wrong.

I can't stand the way things are shunted into obscure streaming services by the main stream channels just to up the number of clicks they receive. They whine like hell that they can't afford to compete with the likes of Sky and then, when they do win the bids to show live sport they shunt it on to the red button where it may gain only 1/4 of the audience it could get if they showed it on the main channels.

I also hate being told it's what I want to watch it that way. It's mostly down to some cleverly worded survey that is designed to get that answer. Virgin TV tried to claim that people wanted more digital catch up services when they had their bun fight with UKTV only to end up with major egg on their chops when everyone went on to social media to tell them their argument was a load of crap and to wind their necks in.

Back
Top Bottom