Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Yes. It has notably expanded hasn't it? The thing that gets me is that it's getting nowhere near the viewing figures or attendance that F1 is getting so the involvement cannot be based on what money companies think they can make out of it or 'reaching a market'. It's purely so cheap to compete that there is very little risk for a manufacturer to start a programme so why not? It really does make you see how F1 screwed itself by not accepting a budget cap.

It needs someone sensible to push it in the market place and not destroy it. At the moment its ripe for a dear old Bernie character to step in and rip it to shreds.

It needs mainstream TV and proper coverage. I can't believe how hard you have to look to find it on TV and why Channel 5 have pushed it away.

Hey cider_and_toast it just got reported on the radio 2 news (of all places) that Formula E looks set to race on the streets of Birmingham next year so your wish is coming true.

Of course if you'd like to use your Jag connections to get pit passes and have some spare for CTA member then I'll promise I'll behave. I'll even be nice to Nelson.

Hey cider_and_toast it just got reported on the radio 2 news (of all places) that Formula E looks set to race on the streets of Birmingham next year so your wish is coming true.

Of course if you'd like to use your Jag connections to get pit passes and have some spare for CTA members then we'll promise we'll behave. we'll even be nice to Nelson.

There, got it right for you.

Ooooh this guy is one happy bunny.

Unfortunately, even with my (limited) Jag connections I fear I will.be near the very end of the queue for hand outs.

So HWA will be leaving DTM and joining the Formula E grid for next season. They will be a customer team to Venturi to start with but with their heavy connections to Merc I'm guessing they'll become the Mercedes works entry for the following season. HWA take the number of teams up to 11 and the maximum is 12. So with Mercedes and Porsche joining in 19/20 it kind of makes sense that's what happening - although no mention of it here.

Mercedes affiliate HWA joins Formula E grid for 2018/19

The other announcement is that starting next year Formula E will crown a European champion for the top driver over the European races. I think this has mainly come about due to a new European race sponsor. Whether they'll follow suit and have an 'Americas' champion who knows.
Formula E creates prize for European 'champion'

The other announcement is that starting next year Formula E will crown a European champion for the top driver over the European races. I think this has mainly come about due to a new European race sponsor. Whether they'll follow suit and have an 'Americas' champion who knows. Formula E creates prize for European 'champion'

Maybe they would like to create a championship for those who turn up as spectators? Make more than 3 races and you could be up for a trophy and a night at the FIA awards ceremony. Utter tosh!

Felipe Massa has signed a 3 year (!?) deal to drive for Venturi starting next season.

Felipe Massa: Ex-Formula 1 driver signs three-year deal with Formula E team

The rumours were it was going to be Mahindra but I'm kind of glad it's ended up being a midfield team like Venturi. This way he's not taking up one of the good seats and it'll be interesting to see if he can get the hang of it quickly.

I really can't see him doing 3 years.

Here's the provisional calendar for 2018-19:
cta_10.png

I suspect that race 3 will be a South American round. Buenos Aires, Santiago or the old fallback Punta del Este, maybe? Interesting that they're attempting to have a Chinese race; will that be in Beijing again or is it more likely to be elsewhere?

I'm going to find it extremely hard to justify holding a race anything in Saudi Arabia.

Your going to love this. But yesterday there were big rumours that round 3 is scheduled for Birmingham. Which im sure if it happens will be 1 yr thing after they have frozen their arse off

F1Brits_90 - They'd be absolutely sodding mad! There's a half-decent shout that a race on the 26th January in Birmingham could be snowed off. A late June round between Zurich and NYC would work but I'm not sure Michelin ought to produce the snow tyre for a race!

Round 3 is most likely being reserved for the Brazilian race they've been trying to make happen since Formula E first began. It won't happen so we'll get somewhere else. Probably Chilie which I'm stunned isn't on there already considering the success of this year's race.

Was Chile the one run next to an open sewer? Think they need to think about that a bit more for next year.

Short article on the new race format for season 5

Formula E: Split Power Modes and New Racing Format for Season Five

Circuits will have an activation zone where you can use the higher power setting. You can use it as much as you like but of course you have to have the energy to use it which means drivers who are efficient gain an advantage. I can see a lot of drivers using it to gain track position but then have to conserve like hell afterwards. I think that might work.

The other changes is the races will be run to time. 45mins + 1 lap. WSR used to do that. Other than TV schedule I'm not sure what advantage it gains.

45mins + 1 lap. WSR used to do that. Other than TV schedule I'm not sure what advantage it gains.

I guess it makes it a lot easier for circuit planning. You don't have to worry about trying to work out how far the cars can go and the number of laps required etc. They just run for 45 minutes plus 1 lap on any configuration.

As far as holding a race in Saudi goes, let's just hope that a team can field a female driver just to make a point.

RasputinLives No change in my world mate. I work on the apprentice programme and that is really strong at the moment.

The only effect on us is the growth in apprenticeships in the various electrification disciplines.

Back
Top Bottom