New design

Anything which changes the size is out as the layout has to be strictly controlled due to the Google chart API we use - the widths have to be hard-coded and dynamic resizing isn't an option.

Anything which changes the size is out as the layout has to be strictly controlled due to the Google chart API we use - the widths have to be hard-coded and dynamic resizing isn't an option.

Responsive design, isn't just about resizing. It's also about dynamically replacing elements to best suit the medium of consumption. I am sure that an alternative on mobile would be that where a minimum width were reached in the display window, the image, graph, chart could be replaced by a link to the file for opening in google docs or opening in an overlay where size of container would not be a restraint.

[EDIT] Never be led by technology. Anything is achievable and usually on the web somebody has done most of the hard work for you.

It wouldn't work like that - the charts are embedded directly on the page, not hosted elsewhere.

Suffice to say I don't really have the time to work on an optimised mobile design - just keeping what we have up to date takes up every spare minute of my life :(

I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but sounds like you have enough on your plate. ;)

The next stage of my ninja training is in responsive design.

I've just spent the best part of an hour vertically aligning the pagination arrow in all the major browsers :givemestrength:

This is why I hate designing :D

:D

The little green box with the right facing arrow in it, between 6 and 76:
nav.png

It was 1 pixel too low...

So would I if I wasn't the one with OCD doing it LOL

BTW, the design will be in a state of flux over the coming weeks. It will all eventually be sorted out though, so ignore any weird issues.

Still a long way to go, but I thought I'd show everyone the extent of all the hundreds of tweaks I've made over the past week or so.

Old images on the left, new images on the right.

forum-old.pngforum-new.png

thread-list-old.pngthread-list-new.png

No problem chap, everyone has preferences when it comes to site design.
I've never been a fan of border radius though, so it was always the plan to get rid of it.

I may reintroduce it in selected areas, once the main framework has been sorted.

I should have done the design in full before we migrated to the new software, but I was keen to switch before the start of last season, so that phase was put on hold until now.

I've implemented a maximum height for quotes.
This is primarily to counter those huge posts which are quoted in full.

If anyone spots any weirdness associated with this, point me to the post in question so I can see the issue and attempt to resolve it.

Edit: I've unimplemented that for the time being as I spotted an issue straight away :D

Back
Top Bottom