Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

Gazzetta dello Sport via http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/...vettel-would-want-fresh-challenge-at-ferrari/

“I’m stopping here for good,” he said, adding that he had no regrets over his the second career in F1 from 2010 to today, which has been useful because it taught him ‘how to lose’

“If I look in the rear view mirror of my life, I see myself happy and smiling,” he said. “I’ve had two distinct careers; one where I won everything and the second in which I learned what it means to lose. Yes I’ve learned how to lose. But this has made me more mature and also more patient, my age is part of that. Now I can look back globally on what I have done and I’m satisfied.

“I have no regrets, just joy for what I’ve achieved. And now life, from here onwards, will offer me plenty of new opportunities. I can’t wait.”

Me too Jen. I've never been a big fan but my respect has grown over his comeback period. just shows its not always about the results. One of my favourite sayings is "it's not what you do it's the way that you do it"

Senna will be one of them, and probably Fangio, and maybe Jim Clark? I don't know.

This it the top 20 so far:

Number 4 - Michael Schumacher

Number 5 - Alain Prost
Number 6 - Sir Stirling Moss
Number 7 - Sir Jackie Stewart
Number 8 - Sebastian Vettel
Number 9 - Niki Lauda
Number 10 - Fernando Alonso
Number 11 - Alberto Ascari
Number 12 - Gilles Villeneuve
Number 13 - Nigel Mansell
Number 14 - Mika Hakkinen
Number 15 - Lewis Hamilton
Number 16 - Nelson Piquet
Number 17 - Emerson Fittipaldi
Number 18 - Jack Brabham
Number 19 - Graham Hill
Number 20 - Jochen Rindt

Well I can go with Fangio and I think the other two are debatable. I think in ten years time when everyone has forgotten the second career he might be back up there.

Well I can go with Fangio and I think the other two are debatable. I think in ten years time when everyone has forgotten the second career he might be back up there.
Whether you agree that Fangio, Clark and Senna are top 3 or not, they are definitely top 20, so they have to be the missing ones!

Oh yes wasn't disbuting that at all. It would be my top 4 as well but not neccs in that order. My bias prob does come from not having witnessed Fangio and Clarke first hand of course.

What happened here then?
x7Fll.jpg

Retires again, kind of sad to see him go as he still had it, and was no slouch against Rosberg for the last two years. However his replacement is just as good.

A wee look at his final race:
The maestro pulls another great performance out of the bag. After a puncture and being dead last and 30s behind his nearest rival, he manages to come through to finish 7th, was helped by the unlapping behind the safety car rule as he was a lap down. But despite that, with all his experience, he made the call for intermediate tyres after that and came home to finish 7th.

Not a great result to end the career for a legend, but having an awful car like that, the 7th place must feel like a small victory for him and the Mercedes team this season.

Should he have came back? Maybe not, but for the three seasons we had him back for, F1 came a little more exciting.

Back
Top Bottom