Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

I personally think Bernie is full of excrement; it will do no good for his reputation for there to be a decision made affecting F1 without his extremely unwelcome oar being inserted, so I think he'd be willing to make it up.

Can I play a trump card? Speshal and pirateplunder

from here: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/merc...t-pirelli-tyre-tests.6253/page-15#post-200993

"A way to resolve this whole thing, I suggest, is for a considered approach that will diffuse the current situation and remove the emphasis on a blame game. The FIA should at the very least confine any punishment to a slap on the wrist since their faffing around has not helped anyone including themselves. Most importantly the FIA, Pirelli and the teams must work together to come up with a clarification and refinement of the rules. They can do that by, among other things:
  1. Defining clearly two kinds of test: a) Car development tests and b) Tyre development tests.
  2. Setting out precisely who carries out the tyre test in terms that define a) what year of car cannot be used (easier than trying to come up with a complicated description of acceptable parameters); b) who is allowed to drive the car (i.e. reserve/test driver or regular race driver); and c) who runs it - as currently defined as Pirelli in the FIA memo but not exactly explicit in the existing regulations.
  3. Clarifying and setting out the exact process that the FIA wants Pirelli to follow with regard to recruiting teams for its tests."

... and here: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/merc...t-pirelli-tyre-tests.6253/page-12#post-200420

"I further hope that if any penalisation goes on that it will not only be just but will also have the good of the sport, teams and fans at its heart."

RasputinLives I think Bernie and Merc read my posts LOL

:) Smug git smiley :chuffed:

Seems Bernie got told the result of the tribunal before rest of uscand got to break the news to Toto Wolff!

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8791640/Bernie-Ecclestone-not-sure-what-happiness-is-

Wolff was shocked it was so light and said, and this is the telling bit, he owed Bernie dinner.

This is from the mouth of Bernie himself though not solid fact.

This is the telling bit...

"That's great," Ecclestone is reported to have reassured the head of the governing body. "Congratulations on conducting a good process, Jean."

Just to tie up a loose end here. BBC reported it was Charlie who initially referenced the test at the Monaco GPDA Directors meeting with Button, de la Rosa, and Vettel. This scenario makes much more sense than the Nico-Vettel exchange. Maybe this was already public knowledge, but I hadn't heard it yet. Anyway, carry on.

Apparentl Charlie also said

"Yeah this is perfectly legit and just so your open and honest about it why don't you make your drivers wear dark helmets so it looks like you're trying to hide the fact its them in the car because you know what your doing is wrong and against the rules and you're really hoping you don't get caught. That'll make it look proper legit that will"

The whiff of horse manuer is still strong on this one. They knew they were breaking the rules and would have happily not mentioned it to anyone. They got caught and the FIA are in a situation where they can't risk one of the sports big names walking away with their engines and money so they justify it and give them a naughty pat on the bum that Merc are still giggling at even now.

End of story. End of thread. More along please.

Does anyone really believe that the rather obvious improvement of Mercedes' performance since the test is strictly a coincidence?

Mercedes have been quick in qualifying all season, and Canada and Monaco are not tracks that would show up Mercedes shortcomings quite as much (hence Hamilton getting two top 4s and Rosberg winning in Monaco) as teabagyokel has said, tomorrow is the proof of the pudding as the nature of the track isn't too dissimilar to Barcelona, where Mercedes took pole, but fell backwards very quickly in the race, my moneys still on Mercedes being behind Red Bull on race pace, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a Mercedes driver on the podium

Hamilton suffering a complete tyre failure and Rosberg pitting early due to bad vibes from a damaged left rear suggest otherwise. The tyres are still a problem and the test would have told them nothing about aero which is where improvements have been made. Guaranteed that if the cars had been covered in flow viz paint at the test Merc would have been hung, drawn and quartered.

Proof in enough for what?
If these tyres are not sorted...will it be proof enough when there is a bad accident or worse...?

It's clear Mercedes have made a significant step forward when it comes to race pace and tyre management.

Was that due to the test and any data they collected from it?

Moving forward all the time............ & input from Paddy Lowe...could have something to do with improvement...

Moving forward all the time............ & input from Paddy Lowe...could have something to do with improvement...

So, has Paddy Lowe now displaced Newey as the greatest genius in F1?

And, since so many are claiming that Merc gained no added info from the test, here's a question: Why don't they allow Red Bull to now tyre test, using the current car? That would, in theory, gain them nothing, but would give the appearance of the playing field now being level.

Who said anything about PL displacing AN....? I just said his input could have something to do with improvement ....

Merc were suffering more from tyre deg..so to me they would be an obvious choice for Pirelli...but all teams were asked last year...maybe RB thought they knew enough...:thinking:Seb's visit to Pirelli factory...& Lotus/Renault seem to be ok...Pirelli testing with one of their 'old' cars.
Well ...TBH....I really don't care....who the :censored: helps....but I do care if there is a terrible accident...or worse...
The great chunks of rubber those tyres were throwing off today....could have created a major safety hazard.;...

Back
Top Bottom