Meanwhile, on another planet...

I was quite in favour of more standing starts.

But then someone here made the point that, what if you get collisions after the restart? You could end up with 5 safety cars in a race, and the race itself confusing.

In recent years yes, but think that's due to the cars being full of fuel and the DRS factor.

But come near the end of the race, such as Bahrain, all hell usually breaks loose.

I wouldn't mind the rule, but I can see the cons in it as well as the pros.

A reduction in race length might be good, that way the boring races take less time. A race format like GP2 might work with a reversed grid for the second race.

So they wanted to make the pit stop longer this year out of safety reasons and now they wanna reduce the pit stop length again?

It's a Grand Pix, not a Small Prix (or even a Medium Prix). Races should not be reduced in lenght. Actually they already are reduced in length compared to the fifties/sixties.

They don't shorten the Indy 500 to Indy 250 either.

Well if you didn't know GP2 is in short for Grand Prix 2, yet it's divided in two races.
MotoGP --->Moto Grand Prix yet it only takes half as long as f1 does. Tell that to yourself next time someone is dominating, that you want longer races.

Take it or leave it a reversed grid would make it entertaining. If you want to see people race their way to the field that you normally or rarely see in race in this day and age, than this is your best option.

They could also add lead weights to race winner's cars to slow them down a bit in the next race. And/or have a 10 lap Sprint race where they pick a numbered ball out of a bowl to determine how much of the grid is reversed.

Actually, I quite like the smoke trail idea. Drivers could use their 'smoke' button tactically to reduce visibility for those behind at convenient moments. They could also make good use of an 'oil spray' button, or rotating blades on their wheel hubs.

It would be an absolute disaster for the sport if they shorterned the race or even worse had two races with a reverse grid! Ugggh. I'm repulsed at the idea.

This is the premier of the sport and the race is the main event and needs to be treated as such. They don't split the 100 metres olympic final into two 50 metre races over two days do they?

Also what difference woikd the kength of the race make over someone dominating?

I didn't said two reversed races. First race where they have to qualify for, second race where there is a reversed grid depending on the result of race 1 and where they can't use DRS. (just an example)

The difference is that a race when someone is dominating won't take that long and that in the second race they have to race through the field. When Vettel was dominating, most people where screaming he can't race, only can win from pole, ect... with a reversed grid they can show what they are worth.

I also rather have long interesting races, but in recent years those are scarce.

Last edited:
Do you watch the reverse grid races in GP2? Rarely do we see people charging through the field to take wins. We see them doing the best they can to stay in a points spot in order to consolidate the good result they had the day before.

As for races being long and uninteresting - the races have always been the same length and, I have to say, have always been of the same 'interest' rate. You get good races and then you get races where people clear off and dominate. What we have now is no different to how F1 has always been. The difference is that the 'playstation' generation demands instant and constant excitment as well as the TV rating obsessed media demanding the same. So just as they have done with cricket, netball, rugby etc etc they start tinkering with the rules in order to try and make it exciting. Of course all they acheive is taking away what made the thing magic in the first place.

You know what? Some races are dull. But the dull races make the exciting ones all the more exciting. Look what happened with the overtaking? We want more overtaking everyone demanded. So they introduced DRS and because the overtaking was artificial it became very dull very quickly. Look what happened with the tyres? We want different graining rates because it makes F1 more exciting. So they get that and people are up.in arms because people 'can't race'. Then they change it back and people complain because its dull.

The truth is F1 fans don't know what they want and the sport should remember the factors that made people watch the sport in the first place - because it is what it is. Stop tinkering with the format.

I still think that the rules should restrict the front wings to being no wider than the inside wall of the tire. They are complete eyesores now. I would also limit them to 2 elements--one fixed and with a mandated chord, and with a second, adjustable-incidence element, also with the chord given a max dimension, which would allow the downforce to be fine-tuned at each circuit. The rear wing should be subject to similar limts. And NO form of traction control shouild be allowed.

That way, we might actually see some OVERSTEER! To see how wonderful that would be, go to YouTube and view the 1970 Monaco GP. Master drivers, indeed!

Back
Top Bottom