Meanwhile, on another planet...

I think having random roadworks would work well and at the traffic lights you could have some bloke who runs out and slaps a squeegee on the drivers helmet..

No not that helmet honestly some people can be so childish at times...

Last edited:
It's a shame that they didn't go ahead with the break away league a number of years back. Maybe racing would have been the primary purpose. It certainly was when I started watching. I would love to get that excited about it all again.
But it's all about corporate money now. It's sad.

Brand new images of proposed 2018 F1 car:

Mario_(Mario_Kart_Wii).jpg

I think Rasputin has the right idea.Bring back some of the old circuits!! My mouth waters at the mere thought of the current F1 cars (and drivers) circulating round the likes of St. Jovite, Spa, Zandvoort, Kyalami and Rouen (not to mention the REAL Nurburgring-all 14 miles of it).

That will never happen due to health and safety.

Marshals, the doctor and the medical helicopter have to be able to get to a driver as soon as possible.

What they should do:

1. When the safety car comes out, eliminate the lap delta times which mean cars can't catch up the rear of the train quickly enough.

2. As soon as the train has formed (as quickly as possible, see point 1) behind the safety car, make all lapped cars immediately pull to one side and drop back to the rear.

3. At safety car restarts, set the cars racing at controlled intervals to restore the relative time gaps prior to the incident.

4. Harder tyres - more focus on driver skill, fewer marbles and more opportunities to exploit different driving lines.

5. Stop forcing the drivers to start on the same tyre they qualified fastest on.

6. Tougher penalties, rigorously and consistently enforced, for gaining advantage by exceeding track limits.

7. Get rid of DRS asap.

8. Return to the 10,6,4,3,2,1 points system.

and most important of all:

9. SAME POINTS FOR EVERY RACE.

3. At safety car restarts, set the cars racing at controlled intervals to restore the relative time gaps prior to the incident.

Not sure that'll work due to the timings, I think the car has to cross the finish line and then it'll update what lap they're on, I don't think they can do it manually.

They should get rid of the delta times for the backmarkers coming through, and the only time they have to slow down is the sector where the incident happened. In fact, just do that overall and it'll quicken the safety car phase.

Slyboogy I believe they are not allowed to un-lap themselves until the track is clear anyway which is why the delta times at this point in the safety car procedure is a a nonsense anyway..

Last edited:
That will never happen due to health and safety.

Marshals, the doctor and the medical helicopter have to be able to get to a driver as soon as possible.

I know it won't happen, but I can always dream. Today's circuits have to have runoff areas big enough to land an A380 in, plus there can't be walls or fences (or any character) or anything else that an in-over-their-head pay driver might run into (for which drivers like Maldonado should be eternally grateful).

I also doubt that any of today's drivers would be willing to accept anything like the risks that previous generations accepted as part of the price of pursuing their chosen profession. It all reflects today's society's "safety above all--no risks allowed" mentality.NASCAR is a far riskier proposition today than is F1. Who would've ever thought that was possible?

Realistically to get the sparks back you have to get rid of the plank and ride height regulations which is effectively bringing back ground effect downforce. The teams all ruled out ground effects return as it would be too complex and expensive to reintroduce.

The vapour trails thing was interesting the handful of times it has happened in f1, normally during bad weather. I just don't see how you can make the teams have this as a feature without telling them how to design the aero.

The safety car restart thing is easy. Get rid of the rule that back markers have to get out the way. Its an unfair rule anyway for the guy in front had to pass the back marker and has his lead removed. At least keeping the back markers in place retains a small amount of the advantage the leaders have worked to establish in the race.

Shorter race. No, not unless we rename the sport 'Small Prix'

Watching automated high technology pit stops will be more exciting? what?

I actually quite like the idea of paintball guns for the pit crew on drive through penalties.

They could then hold a lottery during one of the commercial breaks (with cars safely parked at the side of the road and grid girls dancing around their poles...) and one of the fans watching could be given the opportunity to participate......

The point of vapour trails, glowing brake disks etc. is that they were a side-effect of the technology. To me it was cool because of that. To introduce these things artificially is just pointless. I have a Mini and I can press the 'Sport' button and it makes farty noises when decelerating. It's quite good fun for about 10 nanoseconds, but it's fake!

Back
Top Bottom