Maria de Villota

Terrible news that she has lost her eye but considering what happened to her, she was lucky that it could have been a lot worse. It could have easily been as bad as what happened to Helmuth Koinigg.

There is no reason for a lorry to keep it's tailgate at that height it should be either down or up unless some lazy sods just wanted somewhere to sit whilst watching the test and drink from a flask of tea...

It does seem odd that pre-season testing needs to take place at designated Fia circuits with full marshalling and medical support, but straight line/constant radius tests can occur on an airfield with overly solid things for the cars to crash into, should anything go wrong! This is desperately sad news, both for Maria and her family. If anything good can come of this, then increased safety requirements for straight line tests can hopefully follow!

Poor, poor girl. Life can be so cruel. It sounds as though she's out of immediate danger but she has to come to terms with the fact that her dream career is over. A very strange and very unlucky accident. It seems she'd finnished the test and was slowing right down to talk to people when the car took off. How sad.

Has she actually lost her right eye fully or just sight in it?
It can take weeks to determine whether a damaged eye will heal sufficiently to recover sight so when they say she has lost her eye it will mean exactly that. Regardless, the handicap suffered is identical. Absolutely tragic.

Update on Maria's progress.
http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/624/
Earlier today, Maria underwent further surgery at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. This was a planned procedure that would depend upon the continued stability of Maria’s head injuries, and this morning the medical team were sufficiently happy with her progress to allow the operation to go ahead.
The surgeons successfully completed the next phase of surgery required to address Maria’s facial injuries. After the lengthy initial procedure, which commenced on Tuesday and concluded on Wednesday, today’s secondary operation took significantly less time.
Since the operation today, Maria’s condition in relation to the head trauma she received has further improved, to the extent that she is now “serious but stable”.
Whilst Maria remains acutely ill, this confirms that she has been responding well to the treatment she has received since her accident. Coupled with the significant progress that has been made with regard to her facial injuries, we feel sufficiently comfortable to proceed with a further update.
On a more personal note, we have taken a great deal of encouragement from today’s developments and the rather more positive signs for Maria’s family.

teabagyokel TBY, I hear where you're coming from but i don't really agree, it seems like this was a freak accident where she lost control of the car for whatever reason including car malfunction. Yes the truck could have been somethere else, yes the backloader could have been higher, but just as equally the news could have been that a group of mechanics had been mown down when the problem occurred, would the answer be not to have mechanics around? I think we need to understand exactly what happened before too many judgments are made. Some have suggested that the pit entry limiter may have kicked in, or been accidentally activated, causing the acceleration. If that's true then I suggest the problem is a) that it can be accidentally engaged (a la Hamilton Brazil 2007?) and/or b) that it appears to actively accelerate to the limit instead of not allowing acceleration past the pit lane speed limit. Much like you see on a modern disaster analysis on telly, a chain of events occurred before the disaster itself.

Mezzer - I don't think you can completely legislate for accidents. While I would not recommend running a test without mechanics etc., I doubt the mechanics would be sitting around in front of the car while it was still in motion, freak accident or no.

I doubt that truck needed to be in front of the car, therefore it shouldn't have been.

Now its a question of waiting for the HSE report to read their conclusions.

http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/637/duxford-testing-accident
Following its initial investigation, the Team proceeded to carry out further detailed analysis of the accident. An external forensic investigation was commissioned and carried out at Duxford Airfield (a FIA-approved and much used testing venue, compliant with the recommendations for a test of this nature) and with the team at the Marussia Technical Centre in Banbury. This external analysis has been carried out autonomously of the team’s own internal investigation.
As would be normal procedure, the Team’s findings have been shared with the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), the independent UK regulator which acts in the public interest in respect of work-related accidents.
John Booth, Team Principal of the Marussia F1 Team, commented: “We are satisfied that the findings of our internal investigation exclude the car as a factor in the accident. We have shared and discussed our findings with the HSE for their consideration as part of their ongoing investigation. This has been a necessarily thorough process in order to understand the cause of the accident. We have now concluded our investigatory work and can again focus on the priority, which continues to be Maria’s wellbeing. In that regard, we continue to support Maria and the De Villota family in any way we can.”

It would seem so Mephistopheles. If the HSE come up with the same findings, it would suggest that Maria has little or no chance of suing for compensation and Marussia can continue to race their below par motor.

That would be extremely unlikely seeing as though modern F1 cars don't have a clutch-pedal. Right foot on the throttle left-footed braking is what rhey do these days.

Incubus I agree, when I read Mephistopheles comment I was thinking "Whaaattt????" This won't really shake out until the data on whether she commanded an acceleration, or did something like press the pit lane limiter, comes out. I'm presuming Marussia already know exactly what happened if they're prepared to state their innocence.
Jen I think she still has an argument that the truck should not have been positioned where it was. People win cases every day where the fault was at least partially theirs.

Ithink I would agree to what you seem to be hinting at Mezzer.
I hate to say it but judging by the tone of the article, it seems to me the team look as though they've begun the process of... covering their backs.

I've done a few driving experience days and, although nothing can compare to F1, it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to even hit the accelerator peddle with your left foot due to the space restrictions. I still think driver error had a role to play, but I think hitting the accelerator with her left foot when going for the brake is very unlikely.

However, even if driver error played a role, there is no forgiving the fact that the the tail gate of that lorry was left down at head height. I think Marussia have something to answer for there. Also, I would expect the FIA to make a regulation for straight line tests along the lines of all team personnel and equipment being behind some sort of makeshift barrier, and the car being pushed in to the pit area by mechanics after it has stopped.

Some of the pedals I've seen are actually 'cages' i.e. have sides to keep the drive's feet in place. I agree with sushifiesta, some kind of foot crossover makes no sense to me at all.

Back
Top Bottom