Maria de Villota

That's horrific. How devastating on your first official day in an F1 car. It saddens me immensely just to think about it.

Seeing the pictures it could have been a whole lot worse, but it's a sad end to her racing career. Regardless of the cause, the damned truck shouldn't have been there to hit, let alone with the tail lift at driver's head height.........

Very sad news, her first time in an F1 car as well... Perhaps this will be another point used to justify canopies or roll bars on the monocoque.

Its not her first time in an F1 car.She tested with Lotus driving an R29 at Paul Ricard in 2011
http://www.superleagueformula.com/news/news/2011/f1-test-for-maria-de-villota
Superleague Formula driver, Maria de Villota, has become the first woman to test for an F1 team since 2005. Maria completed almost 200 miles at the Paul Ricard circuit at Le Castellet in the south of France at the wheel of a Lotus Renault R29. She ran in the car in early August with the aim of providing her with her first taste of F1 and 'allow her to become familiar with the onboard systems and car balance'.
Team Lotus Renault GP team principle Eric Boullier was pleased with the way that the 31 year old took to her new surroundings: “We were delighted to offer Maria the chance to drive in the R29, as a team we pride ourselves on our ability to assess new talents and offer different driver opportunities with us. Maria did exactly what we expected of her; she took things one step at a time, and achieved some reasonable lap times, not putting a foot wrong all day.”

Maria, who´s father Emilio runs the De Villota Racing Team in Superleague Formula, was delighted to get behind the wheel. “As a female driver I was very happy to get the opportunity to drive in an F1 car. Formula One is the pinnacle of motor racing and has always been a dream for me. The running went very well, conditions were ideal, and the team made me feel at ease straight away.”

“It did not take too long to get used to the car and, after I felt comfortable with it, I was able to start pushing and as a result really enjoyed the experience. I have been impressed with Lotus Renault GP´s professionalism. I want to thank the team a lot for this opportunity.”

I think it is incredibly sad, the chance of seeing her race in F1 has sadly gone, thankfully it looks like she will survive the ordeal, but it all seems a little senseless to me, a real shame.

As others have said, a completely avoidable and senseless accident.

Not only will she now have to adjust to life outside the cockpit, she will also need to adjust to only having vision in one eye.
Hopefully she will be able to move to another field without too much trouble.

All drivers understand the inherent risk in motor sport, but to receive a career ending injury over something like this is a desperate shame.

Devasted by the news that Maria has lost her right eye. No-one should go through this, I hope she pulls through and come out of this a stronger person who will go and still live life to the full.

But thoughts are with Maria and her family at this sad time.

Can I just say, while adding my commiserations, that I am impressed (though not surprised) at the maturity and genuine concern shown by all the posters on this thread, in contrast to some of the more tasteful and, sadly, predictable comments I've seen on some other sites.

That's a shame, she was probably really looking forward to that test.

May I just say, speaking from experience as I lost the vision in my right eye 2 years ago that you can live a completely normal life once you adjust to the situation, whilst you are always aware of it, it isn't that much of a problem.

I just hope she hasn't got more serious injuries we are not aware of...

Thank God she is going to make it through this.

Could this be the catalyst needed for the full go ahead for canopies on F1 cars? I, for one, do not want to see anything like this again.

This event could have been prevented oh so much more simply than requiring canopies etc. They could have not parked the truck in a position where it caused so much danger, and not left its loading bay at F1 car height.

It would be nice if aero tests had to comply with the stringent safety measures an F1 race meeting has to, really. Then this would be preventable.

I'd hate to see the jet canopies bolted on and then someone asphyxiate because they're upside down and can't get out of a burning car.

Helmut Marko, certainly, could tell Maria how this sort of desperately unfortunate injury need not make a rewarding career impossible, even one in motorsport.

teabagyokel

I agree with your sentiment. However, F1 seems very apt to making knee jerk reactions to such safety concerns. I too would like to think that putting more stringent safety procedures into place would be sufficient. This is something I want to keep a close eye on.

Back
Top Bottom