Manor (formerly Marussia)

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
Ford says Formula 1 costs still a turn-off

When a giant corporation like Ford says F1 is too expensive, people better pay attention.

Remember, it was Ford that bankrolled the Cosworth, which led to what I consider the Golden Age of F1. It gave rise to the privateers such as Williams, McLaren and too many others to mention. They could all be assured of a competitive engine so the playing field was level.

Galahad. How did that devalue the competition?

Last edited:

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Liberty Media still have to pay of a debt earned by F1 paying out 'future profits' to shareholders for next 5 to 10 years so I doubt much will change to start with.

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
Galahad. How did that devalue the competition?
It didn't, of course. It was the best engine in F1 and moved the sport forward. But teams were free to try other options, as Brabham, Ligier and others did. I'm talking about restricting the amount teams could spend.

TR

Rookie
Ford says Formula 1 costs still a turn-off

When a giant corporation like Ford says F1 is too expensive, people better pay attention.

Remember, it was Ford that bankrolled the Cosworth, which led to what I consider the Golden Age of F1. It gave rise to the privateers such as Williams, McLaren and too many others to mention. They could all be assured of a competitive engine so the playing field was level.
Are you pretending that F1 was NOT a spending war in that period? The big difference was that back then, the budgets were relatively low in an absolute sense. Consequently, a privateer with deep enough pockets got participate in the spending war. However, there certainly was a spending war. Between 1960 and 2000 F1 budgets went up by around 20% per year, every year for 40 years. This spending war is an integral part of what made F1 great at the time.

Obviously, this was not sustainable. It is amazing that the explosive exponential growth managed to last for 40 years!

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I think we are going slightly off topic .. sad for Manor Marussia... Liberty Media may want to try and copy the Indy Car model where there is some form of cost control to make racing fairly even

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I am trying to think are people sad that Ferrari did not compete at the front last season more so than Manor Marussia folding?

gethinceri

Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
"How do you make a small fortune in (F1) racing? Start with a large fortune,” Hellmund said.
Visionary.

Top Bottom