First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

I think you are once again mistaking Mclaren and Honda as one entity. I'm not saying it won't happen with Vandoorne etc but Honda supplying Manor won't make them a Mclaren junior team. It will make them a Honda customer. Its a different thing and doesn't mean the Mclaren junior drivers will automatically be in the seats.

RasputinLives I think Ron wants to push Van Doorn into F1 and there are rumours Magnussen has fallen out with Bouillier so may go his own way

Ron would happy help to find more sponsors to get Manor to take Van Doorn even if its a third driver

I don't think HOnda really know what they are doing in F1 under Arai -san and really need a push from Mclaren

Mclaren don't even have their own sponsors at the moment but if that is the case then Vandoorne being in a Manor seat shouldn't depend on Manor having Honda engines anyway.

It seems like this increased that since Red Bull will go Ferrari it has triggered a merry go round where Lotus will revert back to Renault and Manor will use Mercedes and use Wehrlein

So there goes the plan with Van Doorn by Mclaren to be placed at Manor unless somehow he brings a lot of Belgium sponsors

I dont think Manor can finish 10th next season unless Sauber and Haas produce cars that are dogs

Are Manor entitled to get their money for the constructors championship next year for finishing in the top 10 twice or has it been taken that Manor and Marussia of 2014 are two separate teams?

Lets remember Honda pretty much set up a whole separate team to keep Sato's career going and Matsushita is their current driver of choice.

i hope not, because they always say be judged by your teammate & Matsushita record is quite poor as he's has only managed 2 podiums inc 1 sprint race win & only 48pts compared to his gp2 champion (in waiting) teammate vandoorne's 4 poles & 12 podiums inc 4 feature wins

but justin king is seemingly nailed on which wouldnt be a bad thing because he has shown some talent in gp2 this season althought will be a shame if stevens leaves because he has been good. although it could be 1 in 1 out at ferrari, just Red Bull are in advanced talks to get Ferrari engines & Mercedes being in discussions with Manor although despite his denial toto wolff is keen to get Pascal Wehrlein into an F1 seat next season

I wouldn't rule out Merc pushing Esteban Ocon if the engine deal is struck at somepoint either - and to be fair Ocon is top quality so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Are Manor entitled to get their money for the constructors championship next year for finishing in the top 10 twice or has it been taken that Manor and Marussia of 2014 are two separate teams?

They are still officially named Manor Marussia to make sure they get their prize money, a bit like how Sauber were BMW Sauber Ferrari in 2010.

They have already received the prize money for 2013 (the last payment was February this year).
If you mean for working out category1 prize money, 2013 does count for Manor/Marussia (you have to have been in the top 10 twice in the last three years), and it's why Bianchi's Monaco points finish was so important last year as it got them the ~$35m category1 prize money for finishing in the top 10 twice as well as the ~$17m category2 money for 9th place in the WCC.
The prize money structure put the final nail in the coffin for Caterham: they would have had no prize money at all for their 2014 efforts (they no longer qualified for category1 or 2 and even the small $10m category3 payment for teams outside the top 10 was withdrawn by Bernie).

pob Thanks I was not sure with the money they got in the region of £40m whether they it referred to 2013 constructors or will refer to 2015 constructors

I hope they can build a decent car now

I think they are firmly of the belief that if they'd got to finish the 2015 car they started and had the new Ferrari engine then they'd have been on the tail or in that midfield pack this year. So signs are promising.

I don't think they'd have lured Bob Bell without showing him they had something to work with.

I think Sauber team could struggle next season if Marussia get their act together and depending on what engine they get

---------------------------

Esteban Ocon could end up at FI as 3rd driver because the team rate him

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom