First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

To make it impossible for new teams to compete in F1 unless they have a large backing ... teams are paid on royalties related to how long they have been in F1

It is absurd that despite Ferrari having poor seasons they will still get about $50m because they have been around in F1 since 1950 so how does a team like Manor expect to move from the back of the grid to the front?

Someone has a new sponsor.

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 11.58.57.png

Chris Evans has always loved his car's so that makes sense.

if I were Manor i'd be approaching new media types to get names on the car even if they do it for a cut price. Do a deal with Netflix for cheap and have that on the car in big letters and they'll probably attract other investors.

FB

Honda have admitted it is open to supplying other teams but not been spoken to ... Manor and Red Bull would be favourites as customers.

If Manor wants Honda engines I can see Van Doorne being one driver and they will only take K Mag if he gets more sponsors as Ron wishes because I am sure Justin King wants his son in F1 and will need to be talked out of it

Given the lack of sponsorship sign writing on the McLaren's these days I can't imagine they could fund a place for one of their junior drivers.

As I've posted before, I'm convinced that Honda should have entered with more than one team this year. It's clear to everyone, even us keyboard warriors that development in F1 is seriously restricted by the regulations. In having a second team on board they would have doubled the running hours, testing time and opportunities to iron the bugs out of the engine.

While it's not conclusive proof, it's interesting to note that Toyota went at it alone for three seasons between 2002 and 2004 with little success but from 2005 when they used engine partners there results increased significantly. I can't say if this was a major factor or down to other reasons but it's worthy of note.

I also believe that Manor should enter a car as soon as possible that is based on a full 2015 platform. Ferrari have already stated they will supply 2015 engines for this car and it would give the team a chance to progress towards a 2016 chassis rather than trying to leap a year without any development. With Haas attracting virtually all of Ferrari's attention between now and the next season a Manor Honda tie up makes perfect sense and Manor can use the remainder of the season to develop with 2016 in mind.

cider_and_toast the counter argument would be when Honda supplied engines to other teams the results did not improve according to their history

2001-2002 - BAR and Jordan both had full factory engines and the results were not coming and they had to ditch Jordan

but in the current climate of F1 it would make sense having a second team with engines although the trouble is Ron wants to ensure Mclaren are the factory team

I read this week's Autosport and noticed there is a page advertising Bulova watches I think by Jordan King .... now who is he again to be able to promote such brand outside motor racing?:whistle:

Question. If Manor do manage to produce a new fully 2015 chasis and receive, as promised, 2015 spec engines from Ferrari, do they 1 for 1 their current engines so that they do not exceed the total number of engines allowed for the season? I'm guessing that is the case. Therefore, I also presume should they use up all of their engines before they get any 2015 spec units, they would still take a grid penalty for each new unit used?

Back
Top Bottom