First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

I totally agree. First off, the distribution of tv money should equal to all teams. That would give the newbies more income in the difficult formative years when they need it most.

So Manor are in advaned stages of completing the 'car they hope to have on the grid at Australia'

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...-2015-as-teams-planned-return-continues-apace

Also they have now named a driver in Will Stevens. I suspect Roberto Merhi might be the other one but I guess we'll see.

That line of 'car we hope to have on the grid in Australia' suggests to me they are cobbling together something to use for the first race and a full 2015 car would then arrive at a later date. It doesn't sound like the most promising of starts but at least they will make it and claim their prize money.

Must have been some late nights pulled by the mechanics - not that I have any clue where they are currently based! Have they gone back to Yorkshire? F1Yorkshire are they in your garage?

So Manor will be at Australia apparently and Stephen Fitzpatrick of the forementioned OVO and Justin King of Sainsburys fame have been revealed as the new backers.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...1-confirm-their-intention-to-race-this-season

No news yet on the second driver but that is probably because they are in negociation with the FIA on getting Justin King's son Jordan King a superlicence. If he ain't driving it this season he'll be in it next year (if they make it).

Brogan, FB, is it time for a name change and a current badge on this thread yet or are we waiting until we actually see the car come out the garage to be sure?

Probably wise. Quote from Stephen Fitzpatrick

"In 10 days' time we will be in Melbourne with a very solid, clean business platform to operate on."

That must have taken some doing chap! I wish him all the best but feel like he may be underestimating the world of F1.

Still F1 was built on the little teams and I'm glad to see them cling for life. Even if some do think they might as well burn money I'd rather see them going round at the back hopng to get a break than not be there at all.

Great news, I for one never expected them to be back.

Statement from them on facebook a few hours ago.
READY TO RACE

• MANOR BEGIN 2015 SEASON IN MELBOURNE
• STEPHEN FITZPATRICK IS NEW INVESTOR IN TEAM
• JUSTIN KING APPOINTED INTERIM TEAM CHAIRMAN
• TEAM EXITS ADMINISTRATION
• DRIVER LINE-UP SOON TO BE COMPLETED
• ALL EFFORTS FOCUSED ON PREPARING FOR 2015 SEASON

4 March 2015, 17.00hrs

The Manor Marussia F1 Team looks forward to its participation in the 2015 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Formal agreement was reached with Manor’s creditors on Thursday 19th February 2015 in order to allow the team to come out of administration, following new investment from Stephen Fitzpatrick.

Manor’s President & Sporting Director will be Graeme Lowdon, with former Sainsbury’s CEO Justin King taking over as the team’s interim Chairman.

The team has been preparing the cars with which it will begin the 2015 season and which comply fully with the 2015 regulations. Later in the season it will introduce a new 2015 specification car as per the designs initiated last year.

Graeme Lowdon said: “I want to thank all of the teams, the FIA, Formula One Management, our suppliers and staff and of course all of the fans for the support we’ve received over the past six months. It has been a challenging period for all of us but we’ve come through it and now we just want to go racing again. With formidable new business leadership in Stephen Fitzpatrick and the board presence of Justin King we are now in a great place ahead of the new season. This is a fantastic and very rewarding moment for all those involved with the team.”

Justin King said: “It’s a real pleasure for me to be involved in Manor. I know from the years I spent at Sainsbury’s that with the right people, the right values, and sheer hard work, you can turn any business around. In Graeme and Team Principal John Booth we have all three and I’m fully confident that we can help Manor be competitive at the highest level of racing.”

Stephen Fitzpatrick said: “We've all worked incredibly hard to get the car ready for Melbourne and the season ahead. Our fans have given the team amazing support for many years and we want to restore Manor to the very best of racing in the future. I have a lifelong passion for Formula One and can't wait for the season ahead, with Manor and the team.”

They have done an incredible job of getting anywhere near this close to returning to the grid but you have to ask why?

They will have to survive a full season very much in last place before they can introduce a new car for 2016.

It's going to be a long slog for all involved.

It's probably best for them to make the first race rather than miss it. Remember that they can miss up to three races in a season. If money is going to be tight it will be at the end, going to the first race enables them to miss three races at the end to am ensure that they are in a positive position for next year. I'm glad they are going to make it.

cider_and_toast they appear to be planning to run a car with the 2014 rear end and a 2015 front end at the first few races before introudcing a full 2015 car at around race 4 or 5. Whether that'll make a difference with old Ferrari engines I don't know.

I guess by about race 3 or 4 we'll see how far they are behind.

One of the advantages of running the old stuff is they will have reliability so if some of the new ones fall by the wayside they may just pick up a few good results in the first few races.

Back
Top Bottom