First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

That clears that one up Bleu. In which case I stand by my statement that the blame should fall on Guttierrez and Sauber more than Marussia.

If Chilton was using being behind the Sauber as his bench mark to where he was and Bianchi was using Chilton, its quite understandable why they pulled out of place. Sauber should have been the ones making it clear that there should be an empty spot in front.

Would love to have heard the radio footage from Massa and Sutil when they realised they'd been overtaken on the start grid! They'd have been -1 on the graphic before the lights went out!

I might put the kiss of death on them saying this but its nice to see Marussia evolving into a semi decent F1 team at last.

They may not be on the back of the pack yet but they have certainly put themselves in a position to claim the spoils should any of the teams in front error or if another factor comes in to play (as we saw in Silverstone quali). By using the full extent of what they have they've managed to push themselves in front of Sauber in the constructors and I can't see that changing anytime soon because if the opotunity for Sauber to score points did occur its quite possible that Marussia and Bianchi would be around to steel it off them anyway.

Also nice to see them running both race drivers at the test in order to push forward as much as they can rather than using it as an opportunity to cash in on the sponsorship of their 'youth' drivers like Caterham. I'm pretty sure Bianchi driving that Ferrari will bring them back a ton of data too.

If there is sufficient attrition for Sauber to score points, both Saubers will be out. So Marussia look good for 9th.

They're probably less far off Sauber than previously, too.

Just been watching Teds notebook from yesterday and he was talking about the Chilton situation, he mentioned that the Chilton family could be buying the team.

Any truth to this or just paddock rumours?

Marussia really are starting to break through as a team. Something that the better backed and resourced Caterham should have been able to achieve at least a season ago. The end of this season will be critical in their development from here forward. You have to say Bianchi really has done a great job in the car and deserves to step up a team somewhere. Given the current situation in Spa I would have said that Chilton would be out next year but if that rumour is true then of course he'd be sorted.

If Marussia can't attract a driver as strong as Bianchi (or keep him for one more year) they will end up running "rent a rides" which will stall the team or send it backwards.

As a driver Chilton is costing the team a second a lap in race or qually pace and that's where they'll be if they have two drivers like that.

Ferrari are rumoured to want Bianchi in a faster car to evaluate him for a potential move to Maranello. Logic and experience suggests Sauber.

Is the Sauber faster? Might not be this time next year.

Marussia have Ferrari and Mclaren links so if they do have a spare seat hopefully some sort of deal will be strucl to run Marchellio or Vandoorne as would love to see both of those in F1.

I certainly think that being the team to run the big teams academy drivers can only push Marussia forward as a team right now and is a great option for them to have. Its undeniable that Marussia's rise has coincided with bringing in Bianchi and tying in with Ferrari.

This is the worst Sauber ever built, and the best Marussia ever built, and the Sauber is still quicker. But yes, good young talent with factory links should continue to be the way forward; so hopefully an alternative buyer emerges without the same attachment to Max.

The Sauber is quicker but not by enough to really give them a better idea. Good sign for Bianchi though and all the fans. Dude could be great, and I think we struggle to realize that given his position in a bottom team. I think we did the same thing with Ricciardo.

Almost certainly Mephistopheles ...... even a very successful recovery from a severe brain injury won't be enough for Bianchi to be sharp enough to return to F1, probably not to any form of motorsport. Brain injuries usually soften and slow your reactions, something you can't afford in any top sport, especially motorsport. Very sad.

An accident like this should never be allowed to happen again and the solution is obvious. If recovery vehicles are required they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the track or run-offs until the field is under full caution behind the safety car. If its wet the race should be red flagged until the recovery vehicles have done their job and are back behind the barriers. I do feel for Charlie Whiting, he usually does a damn good job but this time they didn't react quickly enough. He must be shattered that this happened under his watch. It's unfair to blame him though, if they had set rules the recovery vehicles would have been kept behind the barriers until the field was slowed by the safety car.

Last edited:
The best solution is to have mobile cranes behind the barriers. They can lower their hook and grab the rollover bar of a wrecked/stalled car and get it out of the way without having a tank-like vehicle ever being anyplace that a racing car might wind up.The system is used at tracks the world over and should be mandatory everywhere.

For a replacement is Petrov still kicking about anywhere? I know he wouldn't be ideal as we want to see the younger drivers get their chance but the opportunity for a Russian backed team to have a Russian driver competing in a Russian GP must be quite enticing.

Petrov is currently handing Paul di Resta his arse in DTM (I'm just guessing BTW, I have only seen one DTM race this season)

Back
Top Bottom