Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Controlling who you are or controlling your schedule are very different things and clearly Jenson has only experienced the latter (his own father didn't have faith in his ability as a youngster let alone a corporate machine like McLaren) . That or the speculations are true that the team favoured Button or they treated Hamilton like their very own Max Guevara.

teabagyokel. I can't see how that would be a surprise to Jenson given that Lewis has been openly vocal about his desire for less sponsor demands and PR activity for the past few years and has stated so, quite publicly, on many occasions. It was also very well known that this was one of the most forefront of the issues on the table during the contract negotiations in the second half of last year.

[Edit] Galahad. And obviously Lewis is interested in money. It's quite a useful thing to have and a desirable thing to attain and accumulate but I don't think he was interested in flying all over the world on someone else's very demanding enforced schedule.

Let's not forget that this is the Jenson Button thread, though.

Trophies?!

I think Jenson's a sneaky little shit so he probably has set out to discredit Hamilton and will continue to do so. They are pretty long quotes to be misinterpreted.

And certainly not in someone else's private jet.

Anyway, that Jenson Button, eh? What a guy. Will he win in Melbourne again? Who knows. I literally cannot wait to find out.

I've often found Button to be the very opposite of sneaky. Throughout his career he's sleepwalked into unnecessary contract disputes, and despite his evident talent all but lost his F1 place in 2008. If anything, he was overloyal to a failing team.

I do think it's a surprise to a man who's spent his career toiling in Brackley to get a move to Woking that Hamilton would throw away the opportunity to drive for McLaren to go to Brackley, because of an relatively minor complaint.

Okay maybe not sneaky. I do think he has a snide side and I lost a lot of respect for him after his Japan quali '09 comments. That said I'm rather fickle so sway easily.

teabagyokel. The magnitude of the complaint is subjective. I see it as a pretty big one. A sacrifice of one's life outside of their goals and aspirations is pretty big in my book. If it's a surprise to Jenson that Lewis feels this way then that surprise must have happend more around the time of Lewywo4 's link than at the time of today's press conference. There is nothing surprising whatsoever about Hamilton's statements which merely echo what he has been saying for years.

I would accept responsibility for us being pulled back into the Jenson vs Lewis debate but I am going to apportion blame to Jenson as it was his response to Hamilton's aknowledgement of his improved lifestyle at Mercedes which sparked it.

Jenson has a sneaky side, as was exemplified at Turkey in 2010.

Yeah, because Lewis would never be so "sneaky" as to ignore team orders, right? I guess Mark Webber must be the sneakiest of them all then.

I'm not really sure why people are surprised or complaining, every driver is an asshole who tries to get one up on his teammate, and every driver is an even bigger asshole when he's in a team with your favorite driver.

Josh. One thing ignoring team orders as rookie which unjustly would take away your earnings on merit and another thing conspiring with your team to undo another drivers earnings on merit. There are very different morals involved in the two incidents and they are hardly comparable.

Saying "every' racing driver is an asshole is like saying all male nurses are gay. It's not a nice generalisation and I'm sure many would disagree and many drivers would be offended by such a sweeping statement. I do a lot of racing these days and there are certainly some assholes about but no more proportionally than I meet in most settings. Most of them are nice people and let their driving earn their merit.

teabagyokel. There is as much prestige in driving for Mercedes who have an equally long involvement in the sport and an illustrious history as either Ferrari or Red Bull but the real prestige is in picking up trophies and championships which is what I am sure Lewis' real objectives are.

I thought we were talking about Jenson's surprise at Lewis not wanting to do lot's of extra-curricular stuff at McLaren, anyway. It was you, in fact, that interjected with that statement. Why would Jenson be surprised at that?

Yeah he was one of a few that were handed penalties for not slowing during yellow flags. He insisted he did nothing wrong and claimed there wasn't enough time between them being issued to have lifted. I think I worked it out at around 35 seconds before he hit the debris zone. This was a while back so my memory is sketchy, I just remembered being riled at his arrogance which occurred in an interview after he was changed and showered so plenty if time to calm down about the penalty.

It was a complete breach of safety rules.

Alonso lightened my mood insisting others should get penalties and then got one himself :)

ExtremeNinja - That's what I was talking about. Button worked for 10 years to get in a McLaren, from his perspective it's difficult to empathise with Hamilton giving it up to avoid sponsor commitments.

Not that he won't be delighted a significant internal threat has been removed.

Hamberg - I don't think he was the only one there, they set a new precedent that day. It might have worked if they bloody red flagged it!

Back
Top Bottom