Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

RickD

After 2011 yes ... 2012 don't know because he could not live Hamilton's speed and his season was not as consistent

I hope he proves me wrong in 2013 and shows he can lead a top team and score many wins ...and be as consistent as Alonso to earn this

I'm just saying there is no logical or even a standard that these polls follow and all I care about is my top 20 not somebody Else's....

the list of drivers in a supposed top 20 is a personal preference and nothing more... obviously there are good drivers and there are bad drivers and they are easy to separate but when it comes down to the final few then you could argue til the cows come home and you wouldn't get a unanimous decision....

And so I maintain the list is pointless....

For me personally I think Button's hard to place in the pack. He a bit behind Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel. Either in terms of speed (particularly in the cases of Hamilton and Vettel) and sometimes will just go missing (outclassed by Barrichello in 2nd half of '09 and middle of '12, but he's also a lot better than the rest of the grid.

Add to this the fact that many people say 2011 was his best year to date, and I think it was too. The only problem with this is that it was also Hamilton's worst by a long shot and athough Button considerably outscored Hamilton he never seemed to have any pace advantage over him at all, it was more a story Hamilton's failings rather than Button's triumphs.

Don't take this as me hating on Button or whatever, I think he's a fantastic Grand Prix driver. However he doesn't have the outright pace nor consistency to be one of the 'greats' (,he also has a greater reliance on a car that's easier to drive). Vettel has both, Hamilton has the speed (and has shown the consistency in 2007 & 2012) and Alonso definitely has the consistency factor but is a little lacking in outright pace.

Saying all this Button is clearly in the 2nd class of outright speed for me (with Webber and Alonso). He's also an intelligent racer because he knows when to be patient and when to pressure someone. He's seems to be a good team player as well, he fit into McLaren very well and the whole Turkey 2010 incident was handled well with no in-fighting seen, certainly it appeared much smoother than Webber and Vettel blaming each other after their incident.

I reckon Button is currently the 4th best driver in Formula 1.

I suppose it all boils down to what attributes you admire in a driver, for me I like the way Button goes about his business people say he is always moaning about under-steer or locking brakes or lack of traction or balance and so on but I think he has been labeled with this because of the FOM pit radio releases I can guarantee every driver is saying the exact same thing to their mechanics.

What I admire about him is his ability to read a race and the conditions when the weather is changeable I like his coolness under pressure I like the way he drives a car with such precision I like the fact that if he makes a mistake he doesn't try to blame others for it and his overtaking is sublime it is carried out with the preciseness of a surgeon with a scalpel his mistakes are very rare.

He knows how to draw a team around him and is a very likable person he isn't flash and he isn't conceited, he may not be everyones cup of tea but for me he is the complete package.

Rare or raw talent is not necessarily the only thing that a sportsman needs if you don't mind I would like to draw an analogy from other sports lets take snooker for instance, the players with the most natural talent are probably Ronnie O Sullivan, Alex Higgins and Jimmy White and the ones with talent plus the need to practice and to train that talent are Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry and it is the latter that have got all the records Davis 6 times world champion Hendry 7 times world champion and holds the record for the most century breaks by far.

Then there is football look at George Best some say he was the most naturally gifted footballer ever to put on a pair of boots but what good did it do him.

No raw talent on it's own is no guarantee of success in fact if it is relied on alone it is a guarantee of minimum success and lots of failure. Montoya is just one example of this fact in F1....

I agree raw talent isn't the be all and end all, I just think at the time Montoya was the better driver and it was due to his raw pace. Obviously pure conjecture on my part, but it's easy to forget that although he didn't have the minerals to stick it out and was never as "likeable" as Button, Montoya was ridiculously quick on his day.

I don't know a thing about snooker so a lot of your post was lost on me...

people say he is always moaning about under-steer or locking brakes or lack of traction or balance and so on but I think he has been labeled with this because of the FIA pit radio releases I can guarantee every driver is saying the exact same thing to their mechanics.

I don't blame FOM. Nobody ever seems more flummoxed on the radio than JB. That message from the Brawn where he says something to the effect of "HOW IS THIS CAR SO BAD RIGHT NOW!!!" is classic Button.

teabagyokel

I remember Niki labelled the March in 1972/ 1973 as shit and then joined Ferrari in 1974 - the rest is history as they say

Before people blast Button over his comments all drivers complain some more subtle than others and some revert to some colourful language

KekeTheKing
I remember Fisi saying he had a :censored: Renault first race 2006 when he had a faulty engine down on power

Montoya is certainly who is not prepared to mince his words about the car being undriveable

Jacques Villeneuve was another and so was Mansell

Yeah but how many drivers actually sound like they're about to cry? ;)

p.s. before anyone knee jerks and gets upset, I'm kidding. I know it's only his accent and tone of voice.:bored:

I've heard Lewis sound like he is about to cry now and then, when he loses and throws an hissy fit and Vettel for that matter I've also seen Rubens cry and I've seen Schumacher shed crocodile tears to try and gain sympathy ...

Back
Top Bottom