Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Wrong thread- you nead the hydra thread apparantly.
It's the introduction of Hamilton that is always the problem - do you not understand that?

This is the Button thread and, yes, there is likely to be mention of Hamilton - but 'dethroning', get a grip please - they both have one WDC to their name and, as far as I can see, Button is ahead in the next one at the moment, apparently!

Mod Comment

Inevitably when Button and Hamilton are teammates there will be comparisons drawn and discussion about them but there are other places to do this so please do not take the mention of anything to do with Lewis as an opportunity to set off the usual nonsense "one is better than the other" arguments.

Thanks

FB

Most people seem to forget that it was whitmarsh who wanted and actively sought Button for the drive at McLaren

Yes, he can recognise class when he sees it.

As far as I remember Button wanted to leave Brawn; he hadn't been treated very well despite voluntarily taking a pay cut and paying other expenses as well so that he could stay with the team. He saw McLaren as a possibility and found that both Whitmarsh and Hamilton wanted him in the team.

Not sure why he wanted the car, that Brawn was damn ugly!

Maybe a different livery could have made it look better, I quite liked their side pods. :)

He probably wasn't thinking of the green on white of the car, more likely the white on green of the dollar bills he'll get when he sells it.

Most people seem to forget that it was whitmarsh who wanted and actively sought Button for the drive at McLaren

only when the talks with Raikkonen broke down and Button's manager gave him a call and said if he was interested in signing Button

It makes sense a world champion and willing to drive for less money as well compared to somewhat indifferent Raikkonen who wanted as much as Hamilton

I think it's fair to say that Jenson "entered the Lion's den" and "tamed the Tiger" (to mix some metaphors). For whatever reasons he got the drive he has shown himself to be the consumate professional at Mclaren and pretty darned fast too. Git! LOL

Yes, he can recognise class when he sees it.

As far as I remember Button wanted to leave Brawn; he hadn't been treated very well despite voluntarily taking a pay cut and paying other expenses as well so that he could stay with the team. He saw McLaren as a possibility and found that both Whitmarsh and Hamilton wanted him in the team.

It went from "99% certain staying with the team" as Ross BRawn initially said to

"We may not pay Jenson what he wants so we will allow him more sponsor freedom " after Button was only offered £4.5M
" We are looking to be an international team " - A Mercedes spokesperson after Mercedes buys Brawn and dismiss suggestions it was going to be an all German team

" We would like Jenson to stay with us but there won;t be extra money" Nick Fry after Mercedes buys Brawn

Upon Button getting a contract from Mclaren at £6m a year for 2 years plus an option on 3rd year , a last minute counter offer from Mercedes to Jenson for £8- 12m for 1 year

Jenson Button is notable for keeping his tyres in great shape, but is there a possibility that he could have learnt that in 2005 when they only had 1 set of tyres for the race?

Good theory Jos but equally Alonso, Webber, Schumacher, Kimi, De La Rosa, and Massa were all driving that season too - in fact Alonso won the title - and they all don't have the same skill. I'm sure it helped but to put it down to that one season alone is probably misleading.

Well Alonso seems to keep his tyres in better shape but they're practically even, Red Bulls seem even, in Malaysia Schumi made one less stop than Rosberg who was struggling with tyres, I'll check the stats about them 2, Kimi seems to be slightly worse than Grosjean, but in GP2 you're not allowed tyre stops and De La Rosa was a great test driver so consistent tyre wear should be normal, but I think Karthikeyan was also there so they should be evenly matched as well

Back
Top Bottom