Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Extremely, extremely powerful reason why others didn't have a reasonable chance of winning most of the GPs that year. It didn't win at Monaco, though, and at Monaco Jenson got beaten by Trulli.

I'm sure there's a reason why Jenson wasn't hired by a Grandee with pedigree until December 2009 inspite of those 10 podiums.

I'm interested in hearing as to which race specifically those team principal *might* have been referring to as, again, if his 2004 was so exceptional, he would have been in contention for some plum rides in ensuing years. I think that one non-victory was held against him. Certainly not at Kovy/Monza 2009 levels...but it didn't help.

Extremely, extremely powerful reason why others didn't have a reasonable chance of winning most of the GPs that year. It didn't win at Monaco, though, and at Monaco Jenson got beaten by Trulli.

Imagine there was a car much better than the Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel in Formula One this season, lets call it the Clipapex F1 Team TY01, which won every race but one with its lead driver P. Brogan.

That race is, say, Germany. Therefore, though Seb had a good season, he didn't take a win due to the Brogan factor. Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton beat Seb when the win was on!

I'm interested in hearing as to which race specifically those team principal *might* have been referring to as, again, if his 2004 was so exceptional, he would have been in contention for some plum rides in ensuing years.

Wasn't Williams considered a plum in 2004, there being no reason they couldn't at least hit 2001/03 form again. Button was certainly in contention for that role.

I think a lot of the blame can lie with his management at the time, after all, he was a little bit lacking in the contract negotiation department. When he sacked his manager, he committed to bar/Honda/brawn until 2010.

Besides, having driven for benetton/Renault and williams is not too shabby.

Wasn't Williams considered a plum in 2004, there being no reason they couldn't at least hit 2001/03 form again. Button was certainly in contention for that role.

Williams struggled in 2004 and were losing both Montoya (a well telecast move to McLaren-Mercedes:wave: ) and Ralf (lots of Euros from that "Money Burning Machine" in Cologne (Toyota :D )) at the end of the year ... so they needed drivers of similar calibre in short order (for 2005). They also knew Jenson from running him as a rookie.

So, yes, Williams wasn't a shabby ride at all for 2005 and, for the above reasons, they wanted him.

There weren't, however, that many other plum offers for Jenson after that. He even was on the precipice of being a forgotten man by the end of 2008.

All water under the bridge, as I said.

What a resurection! He's now become a bona-fide Ace over the last 3 seasons who's certainly given Hamilton something to think about.

Good for Jenson and the Buttons! :thumbsup:

So, yes, Williams wasn't a shabby ride at all for 2005 and, for the above reasons, they wanted him.

There weren't, however, that many other plum offers for Jenson after that. He even was on the precipice of being a forgotten man by the end of 2008.

But it is possible the way he extracted himself from that Williams contract could have left a black mark.

But it is possible the way he extracted himself from that Williams contract could have left a black mark.

It's possible but, to be very honest, pure pace is the only thing that matters over the years no matter what drivers may do behaviour-wise in terms of contracts and the like.

Case in point: Senna. At Toleman they put him on a one race ban for signing for Lotus. If you're fast enough, that's all that matters.

Other cases in point: Schumacher jumping from Jordan to Benetton after only 1 race, breaking the contract.

Alonso. Bad departure after only 1 year at McLaren; Crash-gate - leaves Renault one year early.

It doesn't matter how naughty you are. If you're bloody quick, they'll want you.

Yeah, but there was less doubt about Senna and Schumacher, while Alonso was already a 2xWDC. Button was, at the time, probably at the level Nico Rosberg is today. Whats the point in taking a risk on him if he's going to jump ship and need to be replaced anyway? The top teams of 2005-08 had Hamilton/Alonso/Raikkonen/Kubica anyway!

this appears to be gone over time and time again but really in 2004 there was only possibly only Monaco was Jenson's best chance of a win in 2004

the two races where he should have been in contention he qualfied

14th in Spain due to an error
13th in Germany due to engine penalty

The Ferrari was at least 0.5 second faster per lap when it was on it

San Marino when Jenson got pole , Schumacher had an unbelievable race pace where his fastest lap was good enough to get him 3rd on the grid and he was 0.5 seconds a lap faster than Jenson and 1 second a lap faster than everyone else

Jenson is really Head and Shoulders above Hamilton in the team now... LOL

It's a funny old world.

One Monday you're all the rage having won the GP...

...and the following Monday no one's talking about you. ;)

I'll kick it off:

12 Points in Korea.

Shame about the start. Quallify 3rd, drop down to 6th/7th. Finish ahead of Alonso. Vettel wins.

Hmmm....Sounds like Monza a 'lil bit, eh? :D

Not quite...Beaten by Hammy this time.

Hanging on to 2nd in the WDC, though...But can he hang on to the end?

Should be interesting.

Anyone betting on rain and a wet/dry meeting at Interlagos?

Eh Ray, that was just a joke, not a serious claim

I know...that's why I started the post with 'it's a funny old world'.

:)

I wonder if Jenson would have been able to get by Lewis had it been him - and not Webber - attacking. And I wonder what Lewis would have done differently had he seen the other McLaren's colours in his mirrors.

I wonder.

Thoughts?

I know...that's why I started the post with 'it's a funny old world'.

:)

I wonder if Jenson would have been able to get by Lewis had it been him - and not Webber - attacking. And I wonder what Lewis would have done differently had he seen the other McLaren's colours in his mirrors.

I wonder.

Thoughts?

You had to ask, didn't you? I think I'll avoid that minefield of speculative and fantastical non-analysis. ;)

When he drove the Brawn GP I was thinking that he won just because of his car, but this season has shown me that he is really capable and intelligent driver.

When he drove the Brawn GP I was thinking that he won just because of his car, but this season has shown me that he is really capable and intelligent driver.

It's great that there are finally converts to be able to see that Button really is a quick driver - the best thing he ever did was to join McLaren, as it has given a real barometer of pace for Button - and has shown what a lot of people already knew - that he is an exceptionally quick driver - who sometimes doesn't get the most out of the car during qualifying!

It's great that there are finally converts to be able to see that Button really is a quick driver - the best thing he ever did was to join McLaren, as it has given a real barometer of pace for Button - and has shown what a lot of people already knew - that he is an exceptionally quick driver - who sometimes doesn't get the most out of the car during qualifying!

Problem is, you need the package to be the best. Button is possibly the best racer on the grid but he's always running up hill!

I have derived more pleasure out of watching Jenson drive this year than even 2004 and 2009 - and the fact that people are starting to realise just how good he really is merely underlines the fact that he is the best racer on the grid. If he had had Webber's Red Bull berth this year, I suspect that Vettel would have had a far harder time than he has had this season. Having said that, I'm happy to see him at McLaren for the forseeable future - and I have a hunch he will win another title with them!

Well,its hard to make an absoulte statement like that imo. He didnt really set the track on fire last season,except for his wet race wins,he never really looked like winning a race. But yes,he has probably been the best racer on the grid this season. Hope he beats Hammy next season too.:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom