Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Jenson has matured and learnt to harness his strengths and minimise his weaknesses - previously qualifying and overtaking

Okay he admits Lewis is quicker than him over 1 lap but it does not bother him as he gets his head down on the race itself much like Prost did when he accepted finally Senna was always going to beat him over 1 lap

Overtaking - Jenson said he has had to master this skill and some of his moves this season have been brilliant like Massa at Silverstone and more importantly clean

Jenson is not quite top 3 but certainly above Webber/ Rosberg/ Massa now and the fact people like Hill are praising him for being a lot better than they gave him credit for

If only he did not have the mid season failures after his win in Canada he would be still be in with a shout and Vettel might have crashed yesterday passing Alonso

All the papers / journalists are saying the only person who has matched near Vettel's consistency is Button!

If only he was in the other Red Bull instead of Webber

Jenson has matured and learnt to harness his strengths and minimise his weaknesses - previously qualifying and overtaking

Okay he admits Lewis is quicker than him over 1 lap but it does not bother him as he gets his head down on the race itself much like Prost did when he accepted finally Senna was always going to beat him over 1 lap

Overtaking - Jenson said he has had to master this skill and some of his moves this season have been brilliant like Massa at Silverstone and more importantly clean
Matured? isnt he one of the oldest drivers?

Matured? isnt he one of the oldest drivers?

Matured like a fine wine thats gets better every year because he understands his capabilities and harnesses and not try and mimic Lewis like Alonso would by trying to prove he is faster and wasting a set of tyres needlessly

(Sorry, I was working on the start of the season - and initially missed Barry Cello)....

He may be the 5th oldest, but he's still young (He's a fortnight younger than me so he's gotta be young!)

It could well have been, but then again, his team-mate was Takuma Sato, not rated highly by many, although I do :)

He did, however, dismantle a probably similar-quality Renault team, including Alonso (who was, admittedly, at the lowest ebb we've ever seen him)

Button did well to beat Renault, who were as good as BAR. But Alonso wasn't that good.

It could also be because of the politics with Briatore-Trulli-Alonso which hampered Renault back then, who replaced Trulli? General view is that Trulli got sabotaged since the French GP, who knows. But yes he did do well in that season

It could also be because of the politics with Briatore-Trulli-Alonso which hampered Renault back then, who replaced Trulli? General view is that Trulli got sabotaged since the French GP, who knows. But yes he did do well in that season

That occurred to me after I wrote it, and yes I'd prefer to blame Flav, but I do think 10 podiums in 2004 in a non-red car is some going!

Button did well to beat Renault, who were as good as BAR. But Alonso wasn't that good.

Yes. Alonso was actually being beaten by Trulli that year ... until Briatore put Trulli in the dog house following the last lap of the French Grand Prix and, basically, forced the Italian driver out of the team 3 races before the end of the year.

Ironically, Button lost the Monaco GP to a Renault driver (Trulli; his only victory) by under 1 second.

If I recall, Jenson ended up with a few 2nds that year and - from what I heard back in the mid 00s - some Top managers thought Jenson should have won at least 1 of those Grands Prix.

I don't remember which one of those 2 or 3 races (in which he finished 2nd) these managers were alluding to ... but his inability to convert the (supposed) opportunity played some role in him being unable to land a really Top driver until, that is, he won the World Championsip after being on the verge of being unemployed.

(It was not too dissimilar to Kovalainen not winning the 2009 Italian Grand Prix for McLarens at Monza...although in Kovy's case it was much, much worse because he just kept going backwards.)

It's water under the bridge now because Jenson's become a serious Ace since the start of 2009 but does anyone here recall which GP they were refering to? Was it that one at Monte Carlo? Or was it one of the other European GPs?

That occurred to me after I wrote it, and yes I'd prefer to blame Flav, but I do think 10 podiums in 2004 in a non-red car is some going!

And a win! The number 1 driver didn't even achieve it!

So Trulli after the French GP if he was sabotaged, didn't score a point from the 6 races he raced afterwards (missed one), yet only finished 13 points behind Alonso.

Interesting.

Button's averaging finishing position that season was 3rd, but we don't really know how good that BAR was since Sato wasn't exactly consistent or great and had 7 retirements to Buttons 3.

I think the BAR in 2004 was the better car, but Renault in 2004 had the better drivers.

I think the BAR in 2004 was the better car, but Renault in 2004 had the better drivers.

Maybe you're right. Trulli was very good for a time in the mid-2000s, he was in top form in 2005 (for example), and he did get shafted by Flav. Button was in quite a good place at the time as well, 2005 was a disaster for BAR but Jenson scored all but one of his team's points. In 2003, of course, he effectively turfed Villeneuve out of his own team.

If I recall, Jenson ended up with a few 2nds that year and - from what I heard back in the mid 00s - some Top managers thought Jenson should have won at least 1 of those Grands Prix.

There was only one reason Button didn't win a race that year and it was the F2004!

Back
Top Bottom