Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Now that Button has tied up his seat for the long term at Mclaren that provides one more clue to how the driver market will play out in 2013 and onwards. I must admit I never really believed that Ferrari was a genuine option either from within the team or from Buttons point of view, however tempting it must be.

I agree with you there :thumbsup:

Haven't seen any of the details Ras.

While looking I came across this quote from an ESPN article. Jenson pretty much confirms what everyone thinks the main difference is between him and Lewis.

In the article he also says that having a clear Number 1 is the way to win the WDC, but that he knows that won't be happening at McLaren.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/60439.html
Great honesty from Jenson there, and totally true. I'm liking the bloke more and more these days, off the track as well as on it. He's had a great season, and despite the fact that I still believe that Lewis is the better driver, and probably always will be, the gap between them on pure pace is lower than ever.

I am going to be controversial here...

A "multiyear" deal could mean 2 years, they are very vague when it comes to contracts, but I read on somewhere that it was stated something like "he will end his career" at McLaren.

I don't think it's a very good move...Not only does it lower Hamilton's confidence since he's not got a contract yet and needs the teams support, I very much doubt Button will continue on this form. Even then, his form isn't that great (neither is Hamilton's) providing that they both have the second best car, and in mid-season the best car for race pace.

He's only 17 points ahead of Hamilton, and Hamilton is by far having his worst season, 1 podium in 9 races, yes Button should have 20-25 points more due to the mechanical failures, but you could also argue Hamilton should have had a podium in Monaco if the team sent him out for a "banker" lap which they didn't, and Malaysia qualifying too where the team told him to waste a set of tyres (well not technically but you know what I mean) then the fuel problem in Singapore.

I am not being harsh here, but I was read a here a while back, a member here saying after Monza Button's stock has risen a lot since he beat Hamilton on merit at Monza in the dry. Now I don't understand that point, why should his stock rise for beating Hamilton once in the dry on merit? Webber's stock never rised when he beat Vettel comfortably in Germany this year, neither did Massa's when he beat Alonso in the first half 2010 a few times and close to him on points. Not only that, many agreed with this point, I don't understand it, if he was a top line driver and is against another one, he should beat Hamilton in the dry on "merit" more than once in a season.

Button is getting paid more than all of the top drivers apart from Alonso and Hamilton, (Vettel only gets £7million).

As a World Champion driving at his best form against another World Champion and who is having the worst time in career, he should be comprehensively beating him, instead it's only 17 points, in old money 8 points, one second place.

I hope you guys see my point

An Autosport article recently quoted an unnamed Championship-winning Team Principle as saying the only 2 outstanding drivers this year have been Sebastian & Jenson.

I'll go with that opinion over yours I'm afraid Sly - even given that I don't know who the TP in question is. You should be rejoicing that he didn't sign for Ferrari anyway...;) (I know I am!)

I'll go with that opinion over yours I'm afraid Sly - even given that I don't know who the TP in question is. You should be rejoicing that he didn't sign for Ferrari anyway...;) (I know I am!)

Not surprised since you are a Jenson Button fan ;)

Wasn't asking you to with going with my opinion, was saying "I hope you can see my point"

Some well made points there Sly.

If Hamilton really is having his worst season, as most claim, and Button is having his best, again as most claim, then the small points difference is quite telling.

Put it this way, if it had been Button who had crashed out in Canada, there would be a 25 point swing the other way.

Still, as the saying goes, if my aunt had balls...

Hmm - hadn't looked at it like that. It's a possibility I suppose, though Lewis doesn't strike me as particularly lacking in the confidence/sense of security department.

I do think that, by contracting Jenson for several years, McLaren are planning for life "post-Hamilton" though - and for that eventuality, they could not have done much better than Button (whatever Ron thinks of his Dad...:snigger:).

But, I think the point that Lewis is still on more money than Jenson is still sort of the point.

Vettel and webber are on low retainers with large win and performance bonuses, I believe, so whilst his pay may seem small, I don't doubt he is doing very well from it.

And alonso getting paid more is also no surprise. I wonder what Michael is on?

That said, I think the unconfirmed pay positions him nicely. It should also be noted that the term and possible clauses, options and conditionsvare completely unknown to all except those involved, so conjecture is always likely to be based on your own specific leaning.

Time alone will tell how wise a move it is to have a long term tie in, however, both parties seem to think it a good idea, and I am sure they know more about the business of formula one than I do. At least it stops all the conjecture, so now we cafn all move on to hypothesising about where Lewis will be in 2013.

Some good points Sly but I don't think Mclaren are left with much choice. Could they really let Button go and hope that Lewis returns to form next year and doesn't leave Mclaren? He only has one more year left on his contract and whilst they are hoping to sign him again we know he went to visit Chritian Horner and the thought is planted in his mind. If Hamilton goes Button has to be the contingency plan because there is no one else. Alonso and Vettel aren't coming are they? and with Kubica injury there is no one currently on the market who has proven they can compete.

It could be that Lewis returns to form next year - sweeps the new macca to the title and signs a 30 year deal for them. Could be though he doesn't or the Mclaren car isn't up to it and he waltz off to Redbull or somewhere and waves goodbye.

I understand what you mean about de-stabilising Hamilton but I don't think they had any other choice.

The thing is with Hamilton, we don't know whether his performances this season are a simply a blip or indicative of a longer-term trend. Button has been the more bankable performer in 2011 and, crucially, is happy to have Hamilton as his team-mate. Their approaches and styles are complementary, enabling McLaren to extract the maximum potential from any given situation.

With Vettel and Alonso out of reach, I don't see anybody else out there with a clear, unequivocal case for taking Jenson's drive.

I am going to be controversial here...

[lots of really good points]

I hope you guys see my point

I do, and I agree with you about how Lewis might be feeling. He strikes me as quite a sensitive guy which may not be ideal in his line of work. It was where I was going with my earlier point that got lost in a raykekeraykekeraykekerayrayray yesterday :snigger:

does anyone else think this all leaves Lewis a bit isolated, just when he needs to feel the love the most? Wasn't McLaren supposed to be Lewis' team?

I have no idea whether The Times is trustworthy or not but I figured I'd post it anyway.

British Papers Quick Guide by T.B.Yokel:

Broadsheets (Relatively Trustworthy)
Left Wing Guardian Independent Independent Right Wing Times, Telegraph

Red Top Tabloids (Sensationalist)
Left Wing Mirror Right Wing Sun, Star

Black Top Tabloids (Mental)
Right Wing Express, Mail.

Back
Top Bottom