Not open for further replies.
I've posted these figures before but it's worth repeating:

Driver Poles Wins
Schumcher 68 91
Senna 65 41
Clark 33 25
Prost 33 51
Mansell 32 31

To use a golf expression, drivings' for show putting's for dough.

Conversion of pole to wins or simply number of poles and wins? Context is also important just as a level playing field is ( well sort of). As far as the latter goes status quo is probably the best F1 has ever experienced.

Quintessentially Number of poles and wins. The point I was trying to make is that taking pole isn't always the route to a win - both Prost and Schumacher won races than they started from pole. Clark is probably the exception because of the fragility of the cars back in the 60's. Might be interesting to analyse why the driver retired after taking pole.

ExtremeNinja - not my expression. If you search for that expression you will see many comments in support of this. I'll post you one as this is getting a bit off topic:

Case in point: John Daly used to win tournaments because of his putting. Now John Daly loses tournaments because of his putting.

http://theprometheusinstitute.org/i...s-for-dough&catid=58:sportsandgames&Itemid=54

I know the point you are making, or quoting, but my counter argument is that you need to get yourself on the green before you can pull your putter out. The very best will have have all round skills. Nobody has ever won a top-flight golf tournament without being able to whack a ball true from the tee.

Qualifying itself acts as a sideshow where the drivers have a chance to prove themselves in a certain aspect of racing - Sheer speed. Every driver aspires to this 'prize' . There will be kudos for being the best at other aspects ofcourse but the 'fastest' guy is the one, Villeneuve, Senna, Clark etc

The race is very important, and as long as you can finish high up each race sheer speed is not the end all and be all, certainly not this year, but one must be able to beat others in the actual race even without speed.

I reckon any driver would rather have the problem of starting first and going backwards than starting lower and having to move forward

I know the point you are making, or quoting, but my counter argument is that you need to get yourself on the green before you can pull your putter out. The very best will have have all round skills. Nobody has ever won a top-flight golf tournament without being able to whack a ball true from the tee.
Going back off topic, have you ever seen John Daly play golf?

From the blog of French F1 writer, Jean-Louis Moncet (Google translated):
Interview with Jean-Louis Moncet after the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco 2012 + Hamilton
May 31
At 14:30 today, 31 May, after Geraldine has posted the following interview, I learned that Lewis Hamilton is trying to kick over the traces. This is one of my best sources that I pass the message: Lewis wants to leave McLaren at the end of the year, and even earlier if the situation does not improve. Where a serious contact between McLaren and Paul di Resta ... which reinforces Hamilton's idea to leave. Lewis will be exceeded because of all the problems of McLaren, I understand. But to leave "his house" there is not. So, as usual, we will follow the matter closely, before confirming the hypothesis of a departure.

Or, if you prefer:

A 14h30 aujourd’hui 31 mai, après que Géraldine ait mis en ligne l’entretien qui suit, j’apprends que Lewis Hamilton est en train de ruer dans les brancards. C’est l’une de mes meilleures sources qui me passe le message : Lewis veut quitter McLaren à la fin de l’année, et même avant si la situation ne s’améliore pas. D’où un contact sérieux entre McLaren et Paul di Resta… qui renforce Hamilton dans son idée de partir. Que Lewis soit excédé à cause de tous les problèmes de McLaren, je comprends. Mais de là à quitter « sa maison » il y a un pas. Alors, comme d’habitude, on va suivre l’affaire de près, avant de confirmer cette hypothèse d’un départ.

Yes it’s difficult to pass but not impossible as you say.

With the right (or wrong!) driver in front of you it is utterly impossible to cleanly pass at Monaco.

Watch the last five laps of the 1992 Monaco GP. Two of the greatest racers ever going at it hammer and tongs. Despite Senna's tyres being absolutely shot to pieces he still made it impossible for Mansell to pass by positioning alone.

Schumacher passed Hamilton at the same circuit last year and Hamilton took the place back (a lap or two later if I recall correctly) It's a moot point anyway as it had very little bearing on the actual point I was making.

"So where is Lewis faster than you round here Jenson?"
"Everywhere at the moment"

Nice bit of honesty. Wouldn't count him out in this race just yet though as got himself in the top 10 and trying something different strategy wise.

I really dont understand why so many claim that Jenson is having a bad run, or a temporary loss of form.Looking through his career this situation appears to be the norm, with 2009 and some spells in 2010 and 2011 the exception where he has driven a good car well without making mistakes.

For 90% of his career he has exhibited the same profile - sub qualifying for the car and anonymous races where he has no balance or no grip and cant get the best out of the package

Considering how well he did here last year he really hyas a chance to show us which version is the real Jenson.

Will he fade away in the race or will he at least get his car ahead of the slower cars in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom