Iconic images of Formula One

Check out this photo. 1983 Formula 3 race at Silverstone. Obviously Senna out front, and then Brundle is right behind, also wearing a yellow helmet. I'm not sure exactly what round this is (there were many at Silverstone)
-
16 July 1983, so the 13th round. Senna only outqualified Brundle by 0.04seconds!

Great shot here. Not sure of the year.
-

1465179_259117217571159_1200004839_n.jpg

France's F1 Mafia.

Even Guy Ligier doesn't seem too upset at Hunt and Lauda using his car as a bench... Funny thing is, if Hunt had a reputation as the most temperamental driver in F1, then Guy Ligier was definitely the most temperamental team boss around. Didn't he once boot a sidepod to smithereens in front of his chief engineer to prove him his design wasn't rigid enough? LOL

24999b-w.jpg

Spa 1964, post-checkered flag.

Dan Gurney and Jim Clark musing on their disappointments that day. Gurney ran out of fuel while in the lead and Clark was forced into a late pit-stop for extra water to cool his over-heating engine.

When this picture is taken neither men are aware that G Hill was himself forced to retire 2 laps from the end. And Clark is about to be told he has in fact, won the race.

Last edited:
It's kind of hard to believe is a post checkered flag picture. Look how immaculate their overalls look like ... are we sure this is not pre-race?
How long after you'd shut off that engine before you'd be willing to rest your marriage tackle so close to the exhaust?

It apparently is, though. I was more or less reproducing the caption accompanying an identical picture in Alan Henry's "Brabham: Grand Prix Cars".

This following source would also tend to confirm it: http://lat.mediastorehouse.com/1964-belgian-grand-prix-dan-gurney-and-jim-clark/print/7698051.html

I don't think they really came out of races in mucky overalls anymore by 1964, Olivier , the cars they drove back were already starting to have well-enclosed cockpits by then.

How long after you'd shut off that engine before you'd be willing to rest your marriage tackle so close to the exhaust?

Incubus and Blog Zbod, Take a look at the tires ... they're in pristine condition. One thing is for sure, they ain't Pirelli

It would be interesting for carry out a bit of detective work on this to establish when exactly was that picture taken, but I wouldn't really know how to go on about it? :thinking:

These are good points Olivier and Blog Zbod , but we have to remember these were mere 1.5L normally-aspirated engines, in an era that had by far the least powerful engines in the history of F1, with the lowest revs and less than 190 hp or so. The cars were equally light and rear tyre wear on a track as fast and flowing as Spa would have been non-existent in those cars.

Also, are these spots of dried mud on the tarmac right underneath that Lotus's gearbox, or oil that's oozed out of it?...;)

Last edited:
Incubus - Would the car not be either in the garage or with some mechanics before the race, even in that time? It's not on the grid or in the pits, and Gurney is dressed for war but with no car. It's all a bit relaxed for before the start for me.

And what's the guy in the suit behind doing?

From what I remember reading Clark's car expired for good just after the finish and Gurney's was stopped nearby. I don't know where on the track.
It doen't look like it's anywhere near the old grid though, which is where all the grandstands were situated.

Back
Top Bottom