Future F1 Grands Prix

It is the same pattern with all these new F1 hosts. First they start off hosting the EuroVision Song Contest, then a F1 race, next time they'll be staging the World Cup.

Unfortunately, the future may not include a German GP. According to gpupdate, Bernie's bid to buy the Nurburgring came to nothing, so the German GP is iffy for the future. How about replacing it with the Crimea GP. I think that Bernie and Putin are so alike, they form a fast friendship

I actually don't mind the Azerbaijan race. The circuit looks pretty good if its the same as the Baku World Challenge from GT series. And the crowds from that aren't terrible for being a first time event and GT none the less. Not ideal but Bernie could have (and has) done much worse.

It's almost as if the F1 Circus is being run by an octogenarian under criminal indictment whose lone goal is to ensure monstrous profits for himself and his ultimate paymasters by awarding GP to governments willing to shell out institutionally-backed funds in an effort to place their country on center stage for 3 days of the year. :blink:

On another note, if the BBC doesn't have Murray Walker stand in for the Azerbaijani Round, they'll be missing a golden opportunity for hilarity.

For some reason they persist with this ridiculous 55 x 5.5km standard. Do they not realise that more laps of shorter circuits would mean
1) shorter waits for paying spectators to see the cars each lap
2) paying spectators see the cars more times
3) more exposure of cars to the (typically few) overtaking points on the circuit
4) quicker to do that crazy unlapping thing when the safety car comes out
5) more lapping, so more opportunity for backmarkers to have an interesting influence on race situation
6) (slightly) lower circuit construction and maintenance costs
???
Sorry for quoting an older post (while understanding this isn't exactly the circuit design thread).

I think the 5,5 km preference is exactly to avoid too much lapping. While some think it's part of F1, slower cars hindering faster ones is never quite equal and fair. Of course, F1 also looks more competitive, when less cars lose a lap or more. And it's hard to design a sensible circuit with a 1 km long straight and other potential overtaking spots with a shorter length.

As for Long Beach, it would require a big redesign and renovation. The curving harbour main straight is legendary, the rest of it less so. Facilities, repaving, redesign of the route etc.

I used to really enjoy the F1 race at Long Beach soccerman17 :( It was better than that stupid race in a car park anyway. CotA is a pretty smart track, it's a shame F1 can't find another permanent venue in the US without Bernie resorting to street circuits so all his rich mate's wives can go shopping.

Last edited:
WebSlave - I understand there is a 5.5km x 55 laps preference, and that seems about right. But I do think in a sport where there is an opportunity to make each venue unique, a slightly bigger variance might be interesting.

Few chew out Spa, Monaco and Interlagos as poor circuits and they diverge the most from the mean.

I think that's the main problem with the Tilke circuits - not that they're not good circuits, in fact, some are pretty decent (Istanbul, Bahrain, even Malaysia's alright). The problem is that they're all so similar, eight circuits of the season could well be at the same venue, none of them have anything unique, other than perhaps the colour of the run-off area. And the fact that every Tilke-circuit is between 55 and 58 laps says a lot, frankly, no variation at all.

Last edited:
FB I wasn't alive back then but I've seen some highlights and the old Long Beach races seem pretty awesome. But with today's cars, I am incredibly skeptical about how F1 racing would be there. Wouldn't be too far from Monaco in my opinion.

And Korea, well Korea was like a unique turd.

Well, can't be worse than Korea. At least it's in the city centre so we have nice things to look at instead of cranes and marshland.

Back
Top Bottom