Future F1 Grands Prix

I'm slightly confused by the long beach model... It seems that the long beach circuit essentially offers a single contract for a race series, but it doesn't seem to follow the standard f1 model of "we will bring f1 to your circuit if you give us a sackful of money each year" - the long beach model seems to be the opposite (or at least that was how I interpreted that article)- does anyone have a better understanding than me?

Long Beach won't happen unless they drop IRL. Two vastly different single seater series have never happened on the same circuit during the same season in the US. I don't believe the Americans would be too happy to see their premium open wheel class set-up to be compared to F! by running them at the same circuit where the comparison would make the Indy Cars seem very ordinary in lap times. Bernie has always had his heart set on New Jersey where the backdrop would be the New York skyline. It's been his dream and if it's possible I'm sure he'll find a way to make it happen. Far more likely than Long Beach as long as IRL are there.

Austin has done a great job in its two races, no more US races are really needed now.

But I would absolutely love to see the skyline of Manhattan Island in the background of a Formula 1 Grand Prix. That would be epic. It would rival Monaco.

This has the smell of one Bernie "applying subtle pressure with a mallet" Ecclestone 'talking' to the Jersey consortia about getting their marbles in order and their chq book ready ...

The Long Beach track might have run an F1 race pre 1994 ... but would need some significant costly upgrades and updates to get to the F1 standard methinks ...

I personally would prefer a return to Magny Cours ... or the long Ricard ... but that wont happen because Bernie can't pay himself for the priviledge of hosting a GP ...

The Artist..... contract is held by a company [GPA of LB] who appear to have the rights to host one event per year ... and appear resonably free to determine who that is ... IndyCar fee = $2 MM .... Bernie's daughters diamond encrusted toilet roll holder fee $25 MM + ?

It will be a long shot for Long Beach ...

Long Beach won't happen unless they drop IRL. Two vastly different single seater series have never happened on the same circuit during the same season in the US. I don't believe the Americans would be too happy to see their premium open wheel class set-up to be compared to F! by running them at the same circuit where the comparison would make the Indy Cars seem very ordinary in lap times. Bernie has always had his heart set on New Jersey where the backdrop would be the New York skyline. It's been his dream and if it's possible I'm sure he'll find a way to make it happen. Far more likely than Long Beach as long as IRL are there.

If you read the article it says the contract for the IRL race is about to end and they are considering going for F1 instead. So your point is moo.

ZakspeedYakspeed - thanks - I had no clue as to the commercial arrangements with indycar races... Do you happen to know if Indycar races allow the tracks to keep trackside advertising revenues, or whether this is sucked off into the Indycar tv fund?

I suppose it would all depend on if F1 could attract $23million more in ticket sales for the track???

I am not sure how the commercial side works ... and Indy isn't without it's characters and fools in the management side ... but I think the cost is a lot lower than F1 ... and the advertising money that the teams get would still be quite tasty ...

Back
Top Bottom