Future F1 Grands Prix

Going back to the Indian GP - the calendar was switch was due to Bernie wanting to club this with the Asia-Pac leg of the season (ie, the first 4-5 races when there are races in China and Malaysia, making it much more convenient for the teams). Jaypee have always preferred October over March, as the weather in October is much nicer (read cooler) and will encourage more attendances.

Jaypee have a 5 year contract so the races will be held in 2015 and 2016 (reports of Jaypee going into bankruptcy aren't correct). As for the tax issue, this ofcourse is a big deal for the teams and after 2016 if the race does go off the calendar, it will be only because of the tax concerns (and not the promoters, other circuits etc). India is a big market for all the teams and sponsors and they will miss India more than India will miss F1. The 2 races really haven't been anything close to a spectacle due to Vettel's dominance and so F1 hasnt really endeared itself to the fans who turned up for the races.

Of course, with the race earlier in the season, it should be more unpredictable in terms of the tyres so the race should be more exciting.

Also, is Delhi less smoggy in March/April, because if so, then hopefully the race will look better.

Last edited:
First impressions are everything, and as the public see a smog-filled place, they wouldn't exactly jump of their seats to visit the circuit. Somewhere like Melbourne, Montreal or Spa on the other hand...

Of course, with the race earlier in the season, it should be more unpredictable in terms of the tyres so the race should be more exciting.

Also, is Delhi less smoggy in March/April, because if so, then hopefully the race will look better.

Yes, its less smoggy in April, but the heat's much worse. October/ Nov is the best time during the season for the race from a climate point of view. I don't really think the smog's an issue for the people attending the race (although it does look bad on tele).

On a related note, ticket prices have been announced for the race now, with prices being slashed over last year. I feel the promoters want to pull in crowds this year because of all the recent press and rumours.

As far as I can tell from all the rumours and stories going around next season could have the same races as this season with the exceptions of:

No India.
No Korea.

Add Russia.
Add New Jersey.
Add Red Bull Ring.

Then there is China, reputed to be unhappy to say nothing of Mr Ecclestone not liking Canada or Australia.

So that makes up the twenty, sorry, eighteen.

I think Fuji Speedway should make a comeback.

Just been watching the 2008 Grand Prix, and there is a lot of passing and action for a dry race back then, and this is without DRS, Pirelli tyres, and back when overtaking was much harder.

Was sad to see it removed, I find it much more entertaining as a race than Suzuka.

Last edited:
For as long as Honda are in F1 and Toyota aren't, I think the Japanese GP will stay at Suzuka. Which suits me fine, personally - the original Fuji was a wonderful circuit but I find the modern one soulless and bland.

"........but I find the modern one soulless and bland"

Just about sums up every hatchet job done by our friend Herman

Turkey is a masterpiece, Austin seems great, Bahrain's track ain't bad unless the royals are messing around and China is good too.

The new opening in Nurburg is good, New Hockenheim wouldn't be objectively bad if allowed to stand on its own merits and there's little wrong with Sepang.

In short, Tilke has done a decent job given the meddling of certain small people, especially when you ignore the street circuits where he obviously didn't get a blank sheet.

In my opinion, Turkey has one good corner and that doesn't make a masterpiece, Austin, ok that's a good 'un. Bahrain is ok as well providing it's the short track because that god awful extension did nothing. China is something and nothing plus it was hampered by that stupid "Chinese Character" design. The new Nurburgring is never going to match up to the original (all be it the original would be too dangerous to ever use) and the new Hockenheim, sorry it's an abomination of a circuit and while this may seem daft, I can't forgive Tilke on that one for cutting the track short of the Jim Clark memorial which now stands alone among the weeds and rotting edge of the disused track. In short (for me) Tilke has neutered some classic circuits and designed some new circuits that range from good to dull.

His constant design idea to promote overtaking, of the long straight in to tight corner has done nothing for the stats.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
If New Hockenheim was built on a disused plot of land somewhere else in Germany, I don't think there'd be a problem. The issue is it is forever compared to Old Hockenheim, and nostalgia does not permit it to come close.

The Jim Clark thing is part of the history of the place; it's not relevant to the circuit design, which was dictated by the need to shorten the lap and keep the pits where they were.

Reference Jim Clark, that's purely my issue.

As for the comparison to the old Hockenheim, yes, I understand what you're saying but it was once a great circuit. The need to shorten the lap had nothing to do with the race and everything to do with Bernie's wants. Ok so Tilke had to play the cards he was dealt there but even so.

Interlagos and Spa were both cut down without losing the flavor of the circuit.

Tilkedromes wouldn't necessarily be bad if there were a few of them, but the real problem is that they are all so similar and there are so many of them on the calendar that it makes the whole calendar pretty bland. Half of the races seem like they're on the same circuit.

Did Tilke have a hand in redesigning the bus stop chicane at spa? because I thought it was fine as it was and the new pit entry is just stupid, confusing and slightly dangerous, I mean what kind of numpty would design an overtaking area and then stick the pit entry right in the middle of it and anyway there was plenty of overtaking there before it was altered only it was done on the entry to the bus stop instead of the exit...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom