Formula One's Lost Corners

the old Eau Rouge was the ultimate driver's corner and you did not have the additional run off like they do know to use

The bus stop chicane at Spa before they changed it for its uniqueness

how about the dreaded Tamburello the speed the cars came at the corner until it was revised

Some other corners I thought of:

Rouen - Downhill sweeps after the pits. If anyone's played this marvellous track on GPL you would know the first series of corners are really hard to get right, all blind, narrow and no run off.

Zandvoort (old track) - Pulleveld/Bos Uit. This long fast right hander onto the front straightaway on the old (better) Zandvoort was a test of driver skill and car balance. A perfectly executed exit would lead down the long straight into the famous Tarzan corner. Always the scene of great overtaking.

Interlagos circuit (pre 1980) Curva 1 and 2, Curva de Sol (original). These long fast corners were amazing. No run off, just about flat in top gear. Curva 1 and 2 are still visible on maps, Curva de Sol has been partly retained on the current circuit, however its challenge isn't as it was.

Another one, how could I forget it?

Monza: 1st and 2nd Lesmo (pre 1994), particularly the 2nd one. These were 2 amazing corners. Sadly turned into the mundane rubbish we have now.

Last edited:
Not sure of any circuit these days that has a real canvas on it. Maybe because the down force of the cars wouldn't work as well?

I remember making a model of the Osterreichring out of Scalextric; I loved that track when I was little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom