DRS in Monaco

I can see DRS only been used in Qualifying for the Monaco GP. They just simply isn't a long enough straight for a zone to be put in place. If DRS is used in the race i'd be very surprised as i can see a fair few accidents happening if it is used.

Not really suprising news.I expect that the FIA will ban its use in the tunnel in reponse to the drivers concerns.
Not to sure how they can actually enforce that for the entire weekend.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91665 The FIA is considering banning the use of DRS in the tunnel at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix on the back of continued safety complaints from drivers, AUTOSPORT can reveal.
A majority of drivers have expressed reservations about the possible dangers they could face in Monaco by having to use the DRS - especially through the tricky right-hander in the tunnel.
And although the FIA saw no grounds to ban DRS entirely - with the overtaking zone to be laid down on the start-finish straight – some consideration is now being given to the tunnel situation for practice and qualifying, when DRS can normally be used without restriction.
Drivers have continued to voice their fears about the situation, and AUTOSPORT understands that Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting is giving serious thought to imposing a ban on using DRS through the tunnel.

Not really suprising news.I expect that the FIA will ban its use in the tunnel in reponse to the drivers concerns.
Not to sure how they can actually enforce that for the entire weekend.

I think they should just ban DRS in qualifying and practice apart from where it will be used on the main pit straight in the race. I think they should do this full-stop. I don't like the DRS in qualifying because all it does is widens the gaps between the faster and slower teams. Red Bull is a great example - they are already super fast without the DRS, but due to their superior downforce they gain an even bigger qualifying advantage by being able to open the DRS in locations where others cannot.

If they don't largely ban the DRS at Monaco then I can see Red Bull's competitors having some serious crashes because they'll feel forced to try and use the DRS in places where the Red Bull will likely be able to, and it might not work out!

Rubens Barrichelo said in F1 Racing that putting the DRS zone in the tunnel is "asking the drivers to kill each other." A touch dramatic if I may say from my spectators seat but a concern all the same. He says the ammount of marbles through that narrow space through the tunnel would make an attempted manouver pretty crazy with something like DRS losing them grip at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom