Ask The Apex

Grizzly - I think it's too bad this technology would be next to useless on our road cars. I'm guessing the ride height would have to be way too low for these innovations to work and pot holes, kerbs, steep cambers and the like make it a non-starter. We're missing out on the fun! :disappointed:

Its not useless on road cars, drag has been used for a while to try to make road cars more efficient.

If you want to see it in action for helping cars around corners, find someone with a Lotus Exige..

Other than that, those stupid things you see on the back of some 4x4s (can't remember which ones) and I think Audis (not 100% sure its audis, may be lexus or similar, but think i'm right) are diffusers..

Back to an old topic of conversation now we are nearly halfway through 2011

McLarens U pods

Those strange (but very cool) sidepods on the McLaren are they for better air channeling to the beam wing or to the diffuser or even both? And does this have much of an effect on increasing downforce?

Also will this system help, hinder or be neutral with the changes from silverstone onwards?

I'm going to go ahead and guess at something I know nothing about, but if the McLaren sidepods direct more 'natural' air flow (as opposed to exhaust fumes) to the diffuser than the other teams then maybe they won't take as much of a performance hit. I have no information or knowledge to suggest their solution is better at channeling air flow than the other teams though. Got to say I like the fact they went and did something different though.

In reality I'm expecting the gap from McLaren/Ferrari to Red Bull to close marginally, but I can't see anything other than Red Bull still being out in front.

Does anyone have any idea when in F1 did they stop giving the winners those huge great green laurel leaf wreaths?

This is the British Grand Prix in 1980, if anyone can find a later image...

WillF10029.jpg

I have another question,

If a driver sets the fastest lap of the race while using DRS, does it count as the fastest lap? Or lap the record?

I have another question,

If a driver sets the fastest lap of the race while using DRS, does it count as the fastest lap? Or lap the record?

As far as I'm aware what the driver has at is disposal, whether DRS, EBD, KERS or whatever has no bearing on the validity of his fastest race lap or lap record. The only scenario in which a cars equipment would invalidate these would be if the car were disqualified from the race for infringement of technical or sporting regulations. If the driver contravened said regulations and was disqualified that would also lose his claim to any records set in the race.

Edited to tidy up my reply to Sly.:)

This is the British Grand Prix in 1980, if anyone can find a later image...

I don't have an image I can post, but in Volume 4 of Mike Lang's "Grand Prix!", which covers
1981-84, most years have 2 or 3 podium pictures:

1981 Monaco & France garlands (not necessarily laurel leaves)
1982 Brazil & Long Beach none
1982 Detroit garlands
1983 France & Belgium none
1984 S.Africa & Germany none

The photos showing no garlands may not be definitive as I imagine the drivers
would normally remove them as soon as poss., and the photos may have been
taken later.

I'm assuming that the actual presentations were organised by the circuit, or
MSN, so they might have been presented in some countries and not others.

In most, if not all, of those photos the three drivers appear to be on the same
level and captions sometimes refer to the "winner's rostrum", so when did
the Olympic-style podium begin?

To me, looking through StatsF1's pictures of winners and trophies, it looks like the "Formula One World Championship" name is added to most podiums in 1987, so that seems as good a time as any!

Anyone know the occasions where there was an all team podium lock-out? Such as AVUS 1959 where there were Ferrari's 1-2-3.

First ever GP (1950 British GP) had three Alfa Romeos on the podium. Farina 1st, Fagioli 2nd and Reg Parnell 3rd with polesitter Fangio (Also Alfa Romeo) out of the race early on.

Back
Top Bottom